Mt. Shuksan Reflections

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in Landscapes
These are from Sunday (another 5 hour round-trip spur-of-the-moment trip to the North Cascades, one of these days, I'll actually take a few days off and do it properly, until then, cliche easily accessible locations!).

336353303_ZmXCr-L.jpg

336356538_QJdvo-L.jpg

337047230_CXCmn-L.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Ok..that's it...I'm hopping on a plane....meet me at the airport....I HAVE to go shooting with you.....Laughing.gif....very nice again Ron. Mountains and reflections......all that's needed now is a rainbow with God-beams :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Ok..that's it...I'm hopping on a plane....meet me at the airport....I HAVE to go shooting with you.....Laughing.gif....very nice again Ron. Mountains and reflections......all that's needed now is a rainbow with God-beams :D

Thanks! Sounds like a plan, it would be nice to reduce the gas bill by half :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Gorgeous mountain portraits!!

I'm with Swartzy. Yanno I do think that being located in a beautiful part of the country helps but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that your success comes from your attitude about just dropping what you're doing and getting out there. And I like that idea much, much better. thumb.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    edited July 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Gorgeous mountain portraits!!

I'm with Swartzy. Yanno I do think that being located in a beautiful part of the country helps but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that your success comes from your attitude about just dropping what you're doing and getting out there. And I like that idea much, much better. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo! There's advantages and disadvantages to living in a place that has so many awesome landscapes, the advantages are obvious: there's a ton of stuff to shoot everywhere (mountains, oceans, lakes, rivers, city skylines, etc.), the disadvantages are that when I'm not out shooting, I feel guilty, and even when I am out shooting, i never feel that I'm capturing things to their full potential (shooting locations at sunset when they'd be better at sunrise, not venturing far off the trail because I have to get back in time to go to work the next day and at least pretend to be somewhat alert, shooting familiar locations rather than new locations because I lack the time to go scouting, etc.).

But it's still worth it :D
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    #2 is awesome. Clouds would have made it even better (i know, i know, i hate hearing this too, like i can schedule weather or something ;-) ... and yet the simplicity here works very, very well.

Just a thought ... WA State Employees Credit Union has a calendar contest every year ... it's not a lot of money if they use one but its nice and there are lots of other regional opportunities as well. #2 has great advertising potential.

EDIT: #2 has just a slight vignette in the sky, I'd lose that, and a few remnants of sensor dust towards the top perhaps? That's being really picky but this one is worth being really picky about :))
    edited July 24, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    #2 is awesome. Clouds would have made it even better (i know, i know, i hate hearing this too, like i can schedule weather or something ;-) ... and yet the simplicity here works very, very well.

Just a thought ... WA State Employees Credit Union has a calendar contest every year ... it's not a lot of money if they use one but its nice and there are lots of other regional opportunities as well. #2 has great advertising potential.

EDIT: #2 has just a slight vignette in the sky, I'd lose that, and a few remnants of sensor dust towards the top perhaps? That's being really picky but this one is worth being really picky about :))
    Yep, the vignette is actually more than slight, I didn't notice (sometimes I just rush through the post-processing so that I clear out my last set, because I don't like have more than one unprocessed set at a time, and, well, this is what happens!).

Here's the updated version (I also removed some of the grass in the lower left):

337794148_vEXXp-L.jpg
  • photosbyDanphotosbyDan Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    cliche or not..it is still more interesting that most if not all of my portfolio. ron your stuff always rocks dude..how many seats do you have in that car? I want to come to bowdown.gif
    "Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness."-Yousuf Karsh

www.danielchappellphotography.com

• greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    As always, amazing pictures Ron!

Inspires me to get out of the city while we have some decent weather.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Absolutely stunning. bowdown.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    these are shocking. what inspiring work. all easy access? well i guess i look forward in see'n what a little scouting will get ya......

bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Absolutely exquisite bowdown.gif All of them bowdown.gif
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the comments/feedback everyone!

For clarification...

Personally, I don't care that much if a photo is taken at a popular or "cliche" location (for example, Antelope Canyon, El Capitan, or in this case, Mt. Shuksan in Picture Lake, or Kerry Park in Seattle, which I've shot from over a dozen times), because the light, season, and situation is different every time (as is the photographer, and even if it's the same photographer, the photographer can have different interpretations). As one of my friends said, "those places are cliche for a reason." If I found myself within 3 hours of Antelope Canyon you can bet that I would wind up there some way or another taking photos.

Uniqueness/novelty of the subject is just one metric of many in evaluating a photo, in my opinion, it may be the least important, other people value it more than I do. The same subject can be interpreted a million different ways. I might even argue that taking a unique photograph of a popular subject is even more difficult.

My main frustration is that I haven't been going out to new locations as I haven't had the time to scout for them (for these photos, I arrived, shot for about an hour, and then left).

The North Cascades are awesome, but I've only captured a slice of them and I want to capture more.
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Great GREAT Pictures! Truely Majestic