Butterflies and hummingbird moth

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hummingbird moth
337235869_hLwJD-L.jpg
337237602_FU3t7-L.jpg
337235395_D3qnj-L.jpg
337234587_ccaLy-L.jpg
337236684_2PYYg-L.jpg

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Wow!

2 and 4! 5 too :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Not to nitpick, but I BELIEVE this is just a Hawk Moth. The Hummingbird Hawk Moth is a Eurasian breed, not typically found in the USA. But the Hummingbird variety is in fact a Hawk Moth, which is the more general term :D And I only know this because I looked it up when I photographed one in my parents backyard.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    Not to nitpick, but I BELIEVE this is just a Hawk Moth. The Hummingbird Hawk Moth is a Eurasian breed, not typically found in the USA. But the Hummingbird variety is in fact a Hawk Moth, which is the more general term :D And I only know this because I looked it up when I photographed one in my parents backyard.

Hey, that works.........learn something everyday. When I photographed something similar, but larger than this last year, I thought a bee mutated. Laughing.gif So I searched the internet and found the hummingbird moth and thought I found my answer. I've been calling those things that this whole time. rofl
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Well that is how they got the name, because they resemble hummingbirds (probably a good defense mechanism, birds don't generally eat their own kind). But there are like 10 different breeds/species of them. Like the Elephant Hawk Moth.

I still hope to discover the Hudson Hawk or Tony Hawk moth someday :)
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Hummingbird moth

Hi Julie, you've missed the focus with the Moth,
    but those butterflies look pretty darn good clap.gif
    Keep an eye on where your focusing, it is important that the eyes are in focus when your shooting Butterflies, Insects, and Bugs thumb.gif

Good work Julie thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Julie, you've missed the focus with the Moth,
    but those butterflies look pretty darn good clap.gif
    Keep an eye on where your focusing, it is important that the eyes are in focus when your shooting Butterflies, Insects, and Bugs thumb.gif

Good work Julie thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

The moth never quit moving so I found him to be very difficult to shoot. Butterfly was a little easier. I was focusing on the wings more. I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks for all the replies, I love it!:D