Options

Size limits and prints

valeriecookvaleriecook Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited July 23, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am having a hard time figuring out what size to upload to my wedding galleries. I was drawn to smugmug b/c they allowed the "proof delay" feature.
I assumed (wrongly?) that I could upload downsized files and still offer prints and by using the delay feature, I could upload an appopriate sized file and resubmit for printing.
I am on rural 'high speed' internet - which is faster than dial up - but for my 600+ files, it is taking me about 20 hours to upload to a gallery. I tried all different ways of downsizing (LR, VSo Image Resizer, etc) and I ran the full sized files through photoshop and saved at quality 8 that FINALLY gave me the print choices I wanted the customer to have.
My camera is a D300, I shoot RAW, edit in LR and CS3 - any other ideas for smaller files that will upload faster and still allow for a print up to a 16x20 to show up in the choices. I will still upload a better file when someone orders, but cannot have my computer tied up for 20 hours each weekend.
Thanks for any ideas, Val

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I am having a hard time figuring out what size to upload to my wedding galleries. I was drawn to smugmug b/c they allowed the "proof delay" feature.
    I assumed (wrongly?) that I could upload downsized files and still offer prints and by using the delay feature, I could upload an appopriate sized file and resubmit for printing.
    I am on rural 'high speed' internet - which is faster than dial up - but for my 600+ files, it is taking me about 20 hours to upload to a gallery. I tried all different ways of downsizing (LR, VSo Image Resizer, etc) and I ran the full sized files through photoshop and saved at quality 8 that FINALLY gave me the print choices I wanted the customer to have.
    My camera is a D300, I shoot RAW, edit in LR and CS3 - any other ideas for smaller files that will upload faster and still allow for a print up to a 16x20 to show up in the choices. I will still upload a better file when someone orders, but cannot have my computer tied up for 20 hours each weekend.
    Thanks for any ideas, Val
    Hi Val! Here is the page you are looking for: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality. It lists all the minimum resolutions needed for prints to ba available.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto