Options

cropping photos

DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited July 24, 2008 in Finishing School
When cropping photos to give to someone on a CD, what ratio do you use? 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 or on some of the photos do you crop them all 3 ways to make sure the customer / friend / ??? gets the best photo.

Comments

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I would ask the client on what they are planning to do with the photos? If its for a friend, maybe I would do all three sizes.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I would ask the client on what they are planning to do with the photos? If its for a friend, maybe I would do all three sizes.

If it's possible, I build out an 8x12 by extending backgrounds, etc. that will allow all three crops wtihout losing any of the image. This works great on a solid / studio background, or one where stretch-marks don't show. If the background is too complicated to be 'stretched' or cloned at the edges, then you have to provide a couple of sizes. Often, the 8x10 can be cropped to 5x7, provided the subject doesn't get too close to the edges...going the other way is a bit more difficult!

- Gary.