Some Ideas from older pics.

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited April 22, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a few pics that I have taken in the past that would work for
this challenge. Most of them I can recreate easily cause the shots were
taken close to home.

Are any of these worth going to reshoot.

Thanks in advance. dave

34024602.jpg

24558789.jpg

35690918.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    All nice pics...but the seagulls are great. They each have claimed their post....rolleyes1.gif
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Wow. I'll be of no help here...I like them all, and each one for a different reason. The pews and the graves really seemed to speak to me for this challenge.
    Excellent, excellent shots IMO!

(So...to recreate the seagull scene, would you pay them by the hour to sit for you, or by the shot?) :gone

~mel
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I'm a big fan of the seagull shot!

-Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Again, all great challenge shots. I think the lighting makes the pews shot. I also really like the guls.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I LOVE the seagul shot. Can you get them to pose again?rolleyes1.gif

That one has the "emotion factor" for sure.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I like the seagull shot - it's almost like they're standing guard! At first glance I wondered if you had added a few birds in post-processing, but, no, indeed, they're all just hanging out. It's captures an interesting moment.

I also LOVE the cemetary shot. They're all the same headstone and they go on forever in a nice pattern (great for this challenge). The color highlighting the single headstone in the foreground, however, reminds me that each one has a unique story to tell. Nicely done!
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Thanks for all the responses.

I talked to my wife today about the gulls being back. It didn't sound good.
    Maybe by next week some more will have migrated back north.

I guess I wasn't thinkin about the live element.headscratch.gif

Thanks again for looking.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    The graves stones is the "cleanest" shot to me.

The seagull shot doesn't hit me like it did Snappy. Perhaps if the birds come back and you can play different angles it would be perfect.

I saw another bird shot in a book, but it took alot of birds. I was going to go take it, but I suspect that those were only here in mass in the winter. But I am stuck thinking of that shot............. I think they were geese which I don't have, someone else might.

In the winter we had tons of seagulls.............everywhere.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Holy Tabernacle Batman. Go with the pews! thumb.gif
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Three very nice shots thumb.gif

#1 - Very nice work on the selective color... however, for this challenge I'd go with all B&W. You might try shooting from a bit higher angle. From a higher angle you might be able to fill more of the frame with the headstones while still keeping a good 'patern' feel.

#2 - Great composition! clap.gif - You're going to have to play around with the depth of field on this one. To my eye it looks like the third pew along the left side is sharp. As you move away from that pew things start to get soft. You might be able to get everything sharp, but it's going to take a small aperture, a long exposure, and a good tripod. The other approach to take would be to shallow up the depth of field. With at least one pew nice and sharp you'd establish what the viewer was looking at and use the out of focus pews and background to fill in the rest of the image ne_nau.gif

#3 - clap.gifthumb.gif - I think I might play around with the framing a bit. Maybe try to loose some of the space along the left side of the image while working to open up a bit of space at the top and right.