Feedback on new Headshot

Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in People
336950991_LJJyT-M.jpg

Looking for some feedback on my latest headshot session.
My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Im not lighting expert, so I won't even try to offer advice on that note. I will say that although it doesn't appear to have blown highlights it looks super hot...maybe to a fault...on my monitor.

I like the composition, and she is an attractive model . Her skin tones don't seem quite right though....can't put my finger on it...
  • VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Im not lighting expert, so I won't even try to offer advice on that note. I will say that although it doesn't appear to have blown highlights it looks super hot...maybe to a fault...on my monitor.

I like the composition, and she is an attractive model . Her skin tones don't seem quite right though....can't put my finger on it...

I ditto jeffreaux2's comments.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    I would have to agree with all posters here. I wonder if that hot pink shirt had anything to do with the hue on the face. The face looks a little flat to me as are the eyes.

It could be just my monitor though. My work monitor isn't calibrated so I'll check when I get home. :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm not sure about the skin tones, but the blowout areas are bothersome. Any suggestions with regard to reducing those either while taking the shots or in post-processing?
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm not sure about the skin tones, but the blowout areas are bothersome. Any suggestions with regard to reducing those either while taking the shots or in post-processing?

Was this taken with strobes or constaint lighting?

EXIF?

It is always better to correct while shooting than try to fix later. Just by looking at it you could have reduced strength of the light/strobe- moved the model further away- or made changes to camera settings. any opf which would have helped.

Did you set your WB to the lights being used too?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited July 23, 2008
    Nice fix-up. The image seems overblown from the start though. Highlights are blown on the cheek and the tops of hands. I'm really going to have to check this on my monitor tonight though!

Curiously, why did you chose to have her place her hands there?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 23, 2008
    k... I've opened it on another moniter at work that is calibrated. I see some yellowish green colourcast thing going on in the fix up. I actually prefer the original skin tone to this (not by much though). I do like the hair fixed though. Yup.... still overblown. Sorry!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    k... I've opened it on another moniter at work that is calibrated. I see some yellowish green colourcast thing going on in the fix up. I actually prefer the original skin tone to this (not by much though). I do like the hair fixed though. Yup.... still overblown. Sorry!

You might be right on the yellow cast geospatial_junkie, I agree now when I relooked at it given your comment.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Reducing the blown/hot areas - watch your histogram. A light meter works wonders as well.

The lighting looks a bit flat - it appears you have two lights with the main light nearly on the camera-subject axis. In addition, your fill looks to be about as strong as the main.

Suggestions for future shoots
    • Move the main light a little further off the camera-subject axis
    • Raise it a bit as well
    • Reduce the power of the fill by at least 1/2 stop
    • If you have it, some light on the hair would add a little sparkle and seperation from the background
    • Watch your histogram - if it gets close to the right side, you probably need to close your aperture a touch.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    The retouch by the other poster is worse on skin tones....too red.
    edited July 23, 2008
    Nice fix-up. The image seems overblown from the start though. Highlights are blown on the cheek and the tops of hands. I'm really going to have to check this on my monitor tonight though!

Curiously, why did you chose to have her place her hands there?

That was the suggestion of the model for the headshot. Was not a fan.
    edited July 23, 2008
    Reducing the blown/hot areas - watch your histogram. A light meter works wonders as well.

The lighting looks a bit flat - it appears you have two lights with the main light nearly on the camera-subject axis. In addition, your fill looks to be about as strong as the main.

Suggestions for future shoots
    • Move the main light a little further off the camera-subject axis
    • Raise it a bit as well
    • Reduce the power of the fill by at least 1/2 stop
    • If you have it, some light on the hair would add a little sparkle and seperation from the background
    • Watch your histogram - if it gets close to the right side, you probably need to close your aperture a touch.

Great advice here. Will try this on next shoot. This has been a constant issue for me, and I believe it's due to the size (small) of my studio. I work out of my home, and the room I'm in is limited so I find that I need to cram a lot into a small space. I will attempt to adjust and see what happens.

Thanks again to everyone for the thoughtful feedback.

Brett