Business License & Release Form

picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited July 6, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Can anyone tell me the rules or all that you know about having to have a business license. I want to post an add at our local highschool but I don't want to cause anymore attention to myself before I have everything I need.

Also, what kind of release form do I need to be able to post pics on my smugmug website?

Comments

• shardingsharding Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Business license issues vary widely by location (state, county, city, etc.), so you'll really need to look into your local rules. Unless someone here does business where you do, I don't think we can be very helpful in that regard :(
  • picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    sharding wrote:
    Business license issues vary widely by location (state, county, city, etc.), so you'll really need to look into your local rules. Unless someone here does business where you do, I don't think we can be very helpful in that regard :(

I thought that may be the case. What about the release form? I suspect I will need one before I can post pics on my smugmug site. Right?
    Thanks
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    sharding wrote:

And we can't have no idea where you are as your location is not in your profile.....so you could be in the US, Canada or even southern Moravia.....:D for all we knowmwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 5, 2009
  • ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    picmom wrote:
    I thought that may be the case. What about the release form? I suspect I will need one before I can post pics on my smugmug site. Right?
    Thanks

For the release you would need a model release form. This basically says that they give you permission to use their photo for advertising, sale, public display, etc. just remember if their under 18 you need to get a parents/guardians signature.

You can find examples of these online if you google it.
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    picmom wrote:
    Also, what kind of release form do I need to be able to post pics on my smugmug website?
    Thanksheadscratch.gif

It depends on the nature of the work you are doing. For example, let's say you take sports photos at the local HS - you do NOT need a model release in most places in the United States. You can post and sell images assuming the municipality and state you live in has no such restrictions. But paranoia reigns so I've heard some examples where municipalities are being more restrictive.

You also need to consider insurance - both of your gear and liability. Be warned, many homeowners, personal articals and inland marine policies will NOT cover gear loss/damage in a professional capacity.