Options

Shoe repairer

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in Technique
Today I have been shooting a shoe repairer for 1,5 hours.
I shot with my new Canon 5D + ST-E2 + 580 EXII behind an umbrella + 430 EX sometimes with a CTO (CTO is for orange gell isn't it ?) + Canon 24-75
At first I used only the 580 behind the umbrella but moments ago I switched on the 430.
The flashes were opposed one another. The 580 at the left and the 480 at the right.
The place where I was with the man is very very small. I could hardly move.

What have I learned from this shots ?
* I was always or too often, balancing the flash from the right to the left and vice-versa. I think that is incorrect. I should have tested and stayed in a balance for more shots that I have.

* I shot in Aperture mode in most of the shots when I should have moved to Manual sooner, using a higher speed to get a deeper background, even if it would be necessary to change to HSS.
I am aware that using HSS the flash/s deliver less power but I think their balance would be kept.

* The 5D is very demanding in terms of focus. I mean: if we are working with rather large apertures - I am talking her about only a f/3.5 - the DoF is shallow and the focusing point is critical. Within the range 35-70 or so.
The 20D is more tolerant as the sensor is smaller...
I have make a table of DoF for both cameras to compare.

* I should have seen how harsh the shadows were with the flash on the right (430 EX).
Are you still there reading ? Good. Thank you. Nice of you. :D :bow

1. 337410157_XbkzP-L.jpg2. 337413778_3Lmj9-L.jpg3. 337410040_F9b3L-L.jpg4. 337403154_5xK9G-L.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Great explanation Antonio. Interesting read. Nice pics!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 23, 2008
    Hi Antonio.

You are correct, a full frame camera will have shallower depth of field at a given aperture, than an APS sensor camera.

In close quarters, an umbrella takes up a lot of room. Could you have bounced the flash of a wall to obtain a more diffuse light source, perhaps?

Nice environmental portraits.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Nice post, Antonio.
    I ike the way you explain your thoughts :D.

The #2 is the one I like the most, perhaps less dristacting background!?headscratch.gif

Well done
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Great explanation Antonio. Interesting read. Nice pics!

bowdown.gifbow:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hi Antonio.

You are correct, a full frame camera will have shallower depth of field at a given aperture, than an APS sensor camera. In close quarters, an umbrella takes up a lot of room. Could you have bounced the flash of a wall to obtain a more diffuse light source, perhaps? Nice environmental portraits.[/quote

Hello Pathfinder ! :D
    No. I could not bounce the flash to the wall - well I least I thought I couldn' t but I didn' t even tried that is true - because the walls are brown and covered with shelves.
    May be, just may be, I should try again bouncing the flash to give a try ...ne_nau.gif
    Huummm this late afternoon I will be passing by and perhaps ...
    And because I left there a reflector...

:Dbowdown.gifthumb
    337411445_Bx252-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 24, 2008
    White sheet, white foamboard, or even better, a California sunbounce reflector for a window of light anywhere ( flash bounced off a wall is like a window light - Antonio I know, already knows this thumb.gif )

Made in Germany so close to home for you Antonio:D

The Micro - mini with a flash bar mount, lets you put window light or softbox light where ever you need it. Now that is cool!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    White sheet, white foamboard, or even better, a California sunbounce reflector for a window of light anywhere ( flash bounced off a wall is like a window light - Antonio I know, already knows this thumb.gif )

Made in Germany so close to home for you Antonio:D

The Micro - mini with a flash bar mount, lets you put window light or softbox light where ever you need it. Now that is cool!

Jim. Have mercy on me. I carry at my poor back some 5/7 kg of equipment.
    Do you want me to have pains in my column ? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I know those bouncers from Germany already. They look pretty good. Specially those very large ones. They seem - and I am sure they do - produce sensational results.

In fact I went yesterday to the shop of the shoe repairer and he was not there.
    Today I was with him and offered two pictures.
    He asked me "How much ?"
    I said: "I thank you for letting me shoot you. I offer you the photos"

Yesterday, as the shoe repairer was not there I headed to an office and here are the results.
    338104131_MJji2-L.jpg - 338106036_pkmfo-L.jpg - 338108770_8iQ8S-L.jpg

One more thing. Yesterday I was with this
    262347344_vpfRz-Th-3.jpg which was leaned againts the wall to bounce the 580.
    As usual I was holding the 430 or standing on a shelve
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I like the second shot of the shoe repairer the best. In the others, he is looking at you, sometimes with a weird expression. Good on the office shots as they are working, not posing!
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    ... they are working, not posing!

bowdown.gifD
    My next serie of photos under this theme will be more "natural".
    bowdown.gifDthumb.gif
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    bowdown.gifD
    My next serie of photos under this theme will be more "natural".
    bowdown.gifDthumb.gif

I will stay tuned for your next series then! You have the technical side down perfectly. I loved your bullfighter photos by the way.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    ... I loved your bullfighter photos by the way.

No. No. No. clap.gifThose pictures are lousy. No good. Poor. Bah ! :cry:cry:cry

I was shooting - talking about the bullfighting - with the 5D with the 24-70 and I was too far away, the light is harsh, the moment is poor, no way.

I can do better than that with the 5D and the 70-200 or the 20D (faster) with the same lens.

bowdown.gifDthumb.gif