RV Park, Melbourne FL

aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in Landscapes
Shot this west of Melbourne, Florida a few days ago. Pure vertical through the camera port in the bottom of the airplane from 3500ft. I was looking for something with lines and patterns, I didn't bargain on the single red awning :D

Nikon D200 w/Nikkor Q.C 135mm f/2.8 (1974 - manual focus)
335520215_XJgBu-L.jpg

Comments

• PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Very good Scott . . .

I really like the pattern. And the rebel RV'er with the red awning! That really added nicely to the picture . . .

What other shots do you have from the air?

Peter
  • aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanks Peter. I do the "vertical" type photography for a living, I've just been playing around with using the smaller digital cameras for pictoral vertical work.

Here's another I did in the same area, same camera setup:

335769227_89aDA-L.jpg

..and Daytona Intl' Speedway
    330398289_cfKxa-L.jpg

I do an on-going series of Disney World sites on film here.

I've got a collection of my out-the-window obliques here, and here.
  • PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanks Peter. I do the "vertical" type photography for a living, I've just been playing around with using the smaller digital cameras for pictoral vertical work.

Here's another I did in the same area, same camera setup:

..and Daytona Intl' Speedway

I do an on-going series of Disney World sites on film here.

I've got a collection of my out-the-window obliques here, and here.
    Very nice stuff Scott thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing those links. I really like this photo of yours http://aerialphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2893162_Wh9jM#172393584_6DBvN

What a great way to make a living!

Peter
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanks - I like that one too. That was taken with a large format film camera, it has some pretty decent detail in it too!

It's a living... the vertical stuff is used mostly for mapping projects. It's a zero-creativity job, I run the cameras per predetermined specifications. Sometimes I get to shoot some pretty neat stuff, but it usually gets boring quickly.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I like them...but got alittle dizzy looking at them :D
  • gembobsgembobs Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I really like these shots, especially that first one - I think the red awning just stops it from hurting your eyes, and gives a point of focus. It reminds me a little, of the Where's Wally / Waldo books for kids!

I used to work in photogrammetry, I found it great when we were working on residential areas as you were having a nosey in peoples back yards!
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Very cool perspective...love it! The red makes it sing!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    haha you staters build houses way different compared to the scandinavians..so..square? :D
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Great shot. Love the repitition of it and then the red is great. I would love to see some shots of the area of the plane which you shot. Just curious. Is the camera rigged to a tripod of sorts or are you handholding? Do you manage to fly and shoot or just along for the ride.

I had a chance last summer to go up and shoot some. First time in such a small plane (4 seater), not sure model/type. Single engine prop. I didn't try and open window, was not really sure I could handle wind, etc. Got any advice for the next time I go. Its a buddy who I ride with.

Nice stuff on the site by the way.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Bham: We have a hole in the floor for a large format camera, with the camera removed I have a hole about 14" in diameter to shoot through. I just kneel next to the hole and hand-hold as vertical as I can.

The oblique "out the window" stuff is done from a smaller cessna with the window wide open (in flight it folds up against the wing).
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    wild and crazy stuff you have going on. love the one red rv...haha. the palm tree shadows through me for a loop at first but i caught onto what they were....:D
    i would say that shot in big print would be sensational.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Verrrry neat. thumb.gif
    Michael