Pano at 6,800 feet - Avalanche Crest (large image)

PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in Landscapes
Loaded this pano on my own server since I have not figured out how to display panoramas within SmugMug.

We went alpine hiking a few days ago and took 3 pictures to stitch when we reached 6,800 feet.
It was a long and steep 3 hour hike starting at the trail head elevation of 4,010 feet.
The clouds were moving rapidly as a storm passed over . . .

Anyway, I'm looking at doing a lot more pano shots when going on hikes.
For this image I realized I should have take more "bottom" images to include in the pano.
That way I could have shown all the creeks and waterfalls flowing down from the ice fields . . .

Peter

6800ft.jpg

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Cool image - looks like a wonderful place to be. Instead of doing two rows, take your pics in portrait orientation. You'll need more to capture the same horizontal scene, but your image will be taller as well.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Very, very nice.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Beautiful and breathtaking thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 24, 2008
    Very nice pano.

With regard to displaying your image in SmugMug. It shouldn't be any different than any other image. You might need to change the image name to include a larger image or perhaps embed a link to the original.

If you could explain what the problem appears to be, maybe we can help resolve it for you.

In the meantime, please continue to share your images...they're gorgeous!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    WOW Peter this is gorgeous and impressive. bowdown.gif

Panos mixed with images of conventional aspect ratios in a single gallery can be a bit annoying if you do not want to enable Originals to everything. You can, however, move the pano shots into their own gallery, enable originals and link those here. This is the method that i've usually gone.

If I didn't hit the mark on your Smugmug problem just let me know. thumb.gif

I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Beautiful ! Breathtaking !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments :):. Much appreciate the feedback.

Tristan - I don't know why, but I never thought of using portrait shots for panos, but that makes perfect sense. I definitely will give that try next time :-)

Ian and shmoo - I will try to create a gallery for panos only and set the options to allow for viewing of original. Recently I placed a pano in a gallery with regular dimension images. I set the gallery to allow for Original display, but on selecting the pano, the image only extended to what the browser window allowed. Of course this reduced the view of the image. I'm hoping that I can have a gallery that will show a pano and its actual size ( 1600 pixel wide plus) and force scroll bars. Call me nuts, but I just like the idea that someone can actually scroll across a pano :-)

Peter
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Peter wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments :):. Much appreciate the feedback.

Tristan - I don't know why, but I never thought of using portrait shots for panos, but that makes perfect sense. I definitely will give that try next time :-)

Ian and shmoo - I will try to create a gallery for panos only and set the options to allow for viewing of original. Recently I placed a pano in a gallery with regular dimension images. I set the gallery to allow for Original display, but on selecting the pano, the image only extended to what the browser window allowed. Of course this reduced the view of the image. I'm hoping that I can have a gallery that will show a pano and its actual size ( 1600 pixel wide plus) and force scroll bars. Call me nuts, but I just like the idea that someone can actually scroll across a pano :-)

Peter

Hi Peter!

Within the gallery itself yes it will resize to your browser (stretchy!) but if you want to link your image someplace else you can always customize the size by replacing the -L (or -XL or -M, whatever it is) with the maximum dimensions you want.

For example: smugmug.com/photos/XXXXXX_XXXXX-1600x1600.jpg

Sorry if this is more info than you wanted but it's my job to help Smuggers! I still love your pano and agree that panos should be BIG! Big enough to fall into. thumb.gif
  • PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Peter!

Within the gallery itself yes it will resize to your browser (stretchy!) but if you want to link your image someplace else you can always customize the size by replacing the -L (or -XL or -M, whatever it is) with the maximum dimensions you want.

For example: smugmug.com/photos/XXXXXX_XXXXX-1600x1600.jpg

Sorry if this is more info than you wanted but it's my job to help Smuggers! I still love your pano and agree that panos should be BIG! Big enough to fall into. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo . . .

No such thing as too much info . . . this all helps :):

I will use your tip for linking to my image to show the full size of the pano. In the future I think it would be great to see panos extend to their full size within the gallery, out of the browser window limitations.

Appreciate the feedback . .

Peter