Bubbles

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in People
I took this shot with my new Sigma 30 1.4. It works pretty well on the D300 with massive amounts of AF fine tune, but often fails to lock the focus on the D70. I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

1/100 1.4 1600 (D300)
DSC_6698-1.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Any CC or suggestions?

I can start:

1. I should have moved in closer I think. The DOF would have been even shallower. (I cropped PP)

Alternately, I could have just zoomed in around her face and, though I would have lost the bubbles on the right.

2. They all packed pretty quick after this but it would have been nice to have gotten a shot without a headless guy walking through it.

3. I might have tried to move to the right and maybe tried to minimize the 2 other people.

4. The background was fairly bright (it was almost blown out or even fully blown out) and perhaps I could have tried to lower the exposure and used the flash.

Any other suggestions? How is the color? I find that most of the photos are horribly orange so I desaturate the orange channel quite a bit in nearly every night shot I take in Lightroom. Is it too blue?

I might return tonight or some night in the future and try again. I like the bubbles floating through the night sky and would like to do better.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    i have to say i'm surprised at how sharp that seems at f/1.4. my nikon 50mm f/1.4 is pretty soft at f/1.4. to keep from blowing out the background, you really need to use some sort of fill light (flash, flashlight, etc.).
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Yeah, its really sharp and good, but I had to send it back to sigma. It doesn't lock focus on my D70 and we tried it on a D80 and it also just kept twittering back and forth.

I'm really sad to have gotten a bad copy. I like the FOV and everything else about it and I think for night time its great! But it only works on the D300.

I'll post one of these "100% crops" if you'd like to get a better idea about the lens.

I agree about the flash. I'll return with it in the future.