Options

Looking for a New Click & Shoot

Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 27, 2008 in Cameras
I hope that I don't get anyone upset about posting a question about a Click & Shoot Camera...

I love my Canon Rebel XT but since the addition to the family I'm not sure how much I want to drag the big camera out with the boy. We are looking to get a new Point & Shoot Camera and wanted to get any feedback.

So far, here is what I've found...

Canon Powershot SD770IS
10 MP
3x Optical
Image Stabilized
Face Recognition/Motion Detection
$239 at Amazon

Olympus Stylus 1200
12 MP
3x Optical ZOom
All Weather Seals (snow, water, sand)
Face Detection
$179.99 at Amazon

Nikon Coolpix S600
10 MP
4x Wide Angle Optical Zoom
Vibration Reduction
Face Priority (Focus on 12 faces)
$233.85 at Amazon

Sony Cybershot DSCW130
8.1 MP
4x Optical Zoom
Super Steady Shot

Does anyone have any experience, suggestions, comments about these cameras or others?
bassett1976.smugmug.com
www.fitmet.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,853 moderator
    edited July 24, 2008
    Also consider the FujiFilm F40fd. I bought one for both my son and my lady friend for Christmas and I do like the images they produce.

The JPGs are similar to the JPGs from a dSLR in that you can get a lot of recovery from underexposure in low ISOs and the camera is capable up to ISO 1600.

Startup time is pretty good and overall lag is acceptable.

Downsides are poor close-focus and no RAW file format.

For how the camera is normally used it really has great image quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Also consider the FujiFilm F40fd. I bought one for both my son and my lady friend for Christmas and I do like the images they produce.

The JPGs are similar to the JPGs from a dSLR in that you can get a lot of recovery from underexposure in low ISOs and the camera is capable up to ISO 1600.

Startup time is pretty good and overall lag is acceptable.

Downsides are poor close-focus and no RAW file format.

For how the camera is normally used it really has great image quality.

Thanks Ziggy,

I never really thought about a Fugifilm camera. The newer model seems to have an image stabilizer. Oh, how the Point & Shoots have come so far since my original Olympus 3.1 MP.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    PackingMyBagsPackingMyBags Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Canon SD1000, or simular model. Its a great camera and is surprisingly cheep. Its loaded full of features...even time lapse photography.

here is an example...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=gxSx3EPadJg

good luck.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    You provided no mention of your budget (though you did give us an idea based on the models you listed) but I thought I would chime in here.

The Canon Powershot G9 is a wonderful camera and provides a host of options/features; IS, RAW, a number of JPG resolutions, nice lens, and just about every other feature you might find on a dSLR. In addition, it's compatible with the 430EX/580EX flashes and the max shutter synch speed is 1/500.

And, FWIW, the strobist has some pretty good things to say about it here and here.

I was all set to use it on an Engagement Session last week, until the clients cancelled the session, just for the high x-synch. In tests with PocketWizards and a couple of 580EX flashes, I was getting 1/1250. This is great when you have huge overcast skys and you don't want to blow them out - gives me about 2.5 more stops to play with over my Canon 30D dSLRsclap.gif.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I think Canon makes the best all-around point and shoot cameras (although I'm a Nikon Dslr guy).

I just bought a Canon SD 890. Super nice camera but a little more money than the 770. Reasons for my purchase:
    • Image Stabilization was high on my wants list and I think Canon's works well
    • Good image quality in my tests
    • Super small
    • I still want an optical viewfinder - even if it's view is blocked a little by the lens in the tele position.
    • SD card - I have cameras using both compact flash and SD cards - I didn't want to introduce a 3rd memory card format
    • Good life on the rechargable battery
    • Easy for my wife and others to use
    I bought the camera primarily for a trip to Orlando with my kids and grandkids. It did a fine job

297571844_bpqVh-L.jpg

On your list, I'd go with the Canon 770thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I can recommend Nikon S600! For few months it was the only camera I used, and this includes creating prints that were 16 x 20 for a show, and no one could tell it was a point-and-shoot :-).

oixefd.jpg .
    331g00j.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    You provided no mention of your budget (though you did give us an idea based on the models you listed) but I thought I would chime in here.

The Canon Powershot G9 is a wonderful camera and provides a host of options/features; IS, RAW, a number of JPG resolutions, nice lens, and just about every other feature you might find on a dSLR. In addition, it's compatible with the 430EX/580EX flashes and the max shutter synch speed is 1/500.

And, FWIW, the strobist has some pretty good things to say about it here and here.

I was all set to use it on an Engagement Session last week, until the clients cancelled the session, just for the high x-synch. In tests with PocketWizards and a couple of 580EX flashes, I was getting 1/1250. This is great when you have huge overcast skys and you don't want to blow them out - gives me about 2.5 more stops to play with over my Canon 30D dSLRsclap.gif.

I'm thinking of a budget around $250 so the Canon G9 is a little high but the fact that you can use the Canon flash is very interesting.
    I think Canon makes the best all-around point and shoot cameras (although I'm a Nikon Dslr guy).

I just bought a Canon SD 890. Super nice camera but a little more money than the 770. Reasons for my purchase:
    • Image Stabilization was high on my wants list and I think Canon's works well
    • Good image quality in my tests
    • Super small
    • I still want an optical viewfinder - even if it's view is blocked a little by the lens in the tele position.
    • SD card - I have cameras using both compact flash and SD cards - I didn't want to introduce a 3rd memory card format
    • Good life on the rechargable battery
    • Easy for my wife and others to use
    I bought the camera primarily for a trip to Orlando with my kids and grandkids. It did a fine job
    That model is a bit out of the budget but it looks like the 770s has the same features that you were attracted to.
    I can recommend Nikon S600! For few months it was the only camera I used, and this includes creating prints that were 16 x 20 for a show, and no one could tell it was a point-and-shoot :-).
    Thats good that you can consistantly take pictures and print them out that large. Having the ability to track 12 faces is also a big plus for group shots. It also has an ISO 3200 ability on manual setting.

TOO MANY CHOICES. I hate this part. I wish that the local Best Buy had all of these cameras in the store. headscratch.gif
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    I'd vote for the Olympus - I am biased. My wife uses an earlier version of the one you have listed. Works extremely well.