Decisions, decisions

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's been ... years since I've been able to take a new picture during the contest time, so I'm definitely entering!

This first one is the inside of my great grandfather's watch:

337756506_NcAZH-M-1.jpg

The filtering here is a bit subtle, but I did some sharpening, and two overlay layers of embossing (40%) and poster edges (40%).

So, since I'm not sure about whether or not that qualifies (judges?), here's a second attempt. It has both my great grandfather's watch, and the book is a Czech book of prayers from the Synagogue in Prague ('v Praze')-- that Synagogue was set aside by Hitler to be a museum of an extinct people, the Jews, and was the Synagogue my grandparents (on the other side from the watch folks) attended. I call this one Inheritance:

337756531_E2DHv-M-1.jpg

The filtering here is a bit more obvious. There's a gaussian blur layer (25 radius) as an overlay (40%), which gives the glow, and then another overlay layer of rendered fibers (40%) to give it that textured look.

Finally, continuing with the watch theme, this time it's juxtaposed with a book of photography from some distant cousin (Joshua Sneden) who was taking photos in the late teens to early twenties, if the postcard in the photos is a reasonable date. I can only imagine the number of tries the interior photo took to work:
337769082_AFARb-M.jpg

To process this one, the photo itself was selected, and then the selection inversed. That inversed selection was placed into another layer and was subsequently given a Diffuse Glow filter, with default parameters.

I like the first one for its sense of drama, but I'm not sure it meets the 'filter' requirements. I like the second one because it contains elements that are important to me, but I'm not sure it's interesting enough in and of itself without the explanation. I like the third one because I think the interior photo is very playful, but it was obviously not taken during the contest time ( :D ), and the filter is only selectively applied.

Which one?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    mmroden wrote:
    It's been ... years since I've been able to take a new picture during the contest time, so I'm definitely entering!
    Which one?
    Great series! thumb.gif
    I vote #2...bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    This is a great series. My vote is for #1. thumb.gif
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I really like #2, but the composition and subjects in #3 are absolutely fantastic! I think the paper in #3 should look a bit more antiquated to flow with the rest of the picture and the clasp of the chain should be moved out of the shot.

Very nice work! thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    You have 3 outstanding photos here!clap.gif

#1 is super, but the filtering you used may be too subtle for this challenge, IMO. Perhaps with the photo resized to 800px at the widest side it may become more apparent.

Love the effect you got on #2. Of the three that one's the most poignant and probably best suited for the challenge.

#3 is a fun shot and would make a terrific greeting card. But the older photo in the composition upstages all the other elements, including the filtering. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw it.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I knew that first watch shot looked a bit familiar to me; something similar got submitted for the photo of the year in 2006:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2241567#119713811_6f7Wq

They aren't the same shots, of course, but the similarities are enough to make me think I should go with #2 or #3, with people leaning towards #2 as it is or #3 if I can modify it in some way. (that's how I feel about #3, and almost didn't include it... something's just not quite right about it, I think, but I just can't put my finger on it...)
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    The third one looks timeless (no pun intended).

I like that one from the three. The colors bring out a feel of nostalgia and the photo and the time piece just work together to bring that out.

That's my $0.02.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    hrm. I've had several people comment that they like number 3 as well; can I swap it out? Is that legal, to edit my entry at this point?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    mmroden wrote:
    hrm. I've had several people comment that they like number 3 as well; can I swap it out? Is that legal, to edit my entry at this point?

You can change your entry as many times as you want prior to the deadline.

deal.gif Word of advice -- if you're stuck, choose the picture YOU like best.