Options

Overwhelmed by the possibilities...

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm planning a visit to Yosemite at the beginning of September and as it will be my first visit there, I have no idea really of what to visit and the web site is only overwhelming me more. :huh

I'll be there for about 4 days with the possibility of returning for another day or two near the end of my vacation. What are the absolute "must-see" locations?

The only spot I got reserve to camp is around the southwest corner, maybe Wawano (something like that at least) camp site. I'm not adverse to driving to a trail head or hiking a distance either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated even if it's just an idea of what to look into further...

Thanks for you time!!!! :D
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Hi Chris,

Yosemite's my favorite place in the world! I have a lot of photos of Yosemite on my web page, www.zoebluephotography, and you can check it out so you can have an idea of what this magnificent place is like. You'll find my Yosemite photos in the "Places" link.

Yosemite can be quite overwhelming to a first time visitor, especially a photographer as there are so many things to photograph that you are not quite sure where to point your camera. Definitely bring a tripod and if you're planning to photograph Half Dome during sunset, ND graduated filters are a definite must. Half Dome is not easy to photograph during sunset as it reflects so much of the light back.

237201930_TzzLg-M-1.jpg

The "must see" locations are Yosemite Valley, where you are surrounded by the monoliths of Half Dome and El Capitan. Yosemite Falls, the tallest falls in North America, is usually dry during September so don't expect too much. The quietest time in the valley is very early morning, when everyone else is asleep and the only ones awake are bleary-eyed photographers :D and some wildlife.

September is still a fairly busy month for the park so don't expect too much solitude as it's crowded. To get away from the crowds, drive away from the valley. Another "must see" is Glacier Point Road. This is a beautiful drive and the reward at the end of the drive is a magnificent bird's eye view of the valley and Half Dome. Most people drive up to Glacier Point, but I suggest you stop over at Sentinel Dome, which is less crowded than Glacier Point. Sentinel Dome, at an elevation of 8122 feet, is second only to Half Dome. Standing on Sentinel Dome, it feels as if you can just reach out and touch Half Dome. This spot gives a wonderful 360 degree view of the park and you can see the whole length of Yosemite Falls, something that can only be seen from this high. You also get views of the majestic Sierra Nevada mountains to the east and El Capitan to the west.

To get there, from the signed junction along Wawona Road, go east on Glacier Point Road. After about 14 miles of paved driving, and about 2.3 miles before the Glacier Point parking lot, you'll see a sign and some parking spots for Sentinel Dome. There is a small hike to get to Sentinel Dome, but it's quite easy as it's only a 2.4 mile round trip. The trail is well maintained and easy as long as you follow the signs. Once you reach the top of Sentinel Dome, the views are breathtakingly beautiful, especially on days that have lots of white clouds on the horizon. This is also the place where you will find the old, but dead, Jeffrey Pine tree immortalized on many iconic photographs of this spot. Once you're done with Sentinel Dome, you can head to Glacier Point as there are some more modern facilities here.

There is also a great hike around the Wawona area. A friend and I hiked up to Chilnualna Falls. It's about 8-10 miles roundtrip but it's beautiful and quiet, even at the height of the tourist season. To get there, follow the signed Chilnualna Road from Wawona through the tiny hamlet of North Wawona for 2 miles to a signed parking lot on the right at road's end. You'll find the trailhead there.

Another "must see" is also located away from the Valley. Don't get me wrong, I love Yosemite Valley, but don't really like being there during the busy tourist season as there are just too many people around. Anyways, drive through the valley and take Tioga Road up to Tuolumne Meadows. Tioga Road is a destination in itself as there is so much beauty around you. Tioga Road starts at the Valley at an elevation of 4000 feet and climbs up to Tioga Pass at 9945 feet. To get there, from Yosemite Village, head west toward the park exits and follow the signs for Route 120 to Manteca and San Francisco. Go for about 15.4 miles then turn right onto Route 120 East, following the signs to Tioga Pass. Drive another 30 or so miles and you will come to a large, paved parking area on the right, which is the parking for Olmstead Point.

Olmstead Point is another wonderful place that gives you magnificent views of the park. To the left of the parking area is a small dome, which you can climb up for the views where you see the back side of Half Dome. To the east lies Tenaya Lake that on a clear day, is a deep shade of blue. I have some photos of this spot on my website in the gallery for Yosemite 2005. All the photos in this gallery were taken in September of 2005 with my first digital SLR, a Canon 20D.

237213177_gMuyE-M-1.jpg

You can continue the drive on Tioga Road and you will eventually hit Tioga Pass. If you like driving, you can continue on Tioga Road through the pass. This is a beautiful drive through the Sierra Nevadas as you can see sheer cliffs on one side and tall mountains on the other side. You will eventually end up on Highway 395 and above Mammoth and Mono Lake.

There are some great things to see in the Valley. If you want to experience the valley, I suggest you forgo the shuttle buses and take the Valley floor hike that loops around valley. There are many places to start this hike, but the map you get at the entrance will show this hike.

Another great Valley hike is the one from Happy Isles to Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls. This is a six mile loop that is quite popular. To get there, take the shuttle bus and go to Stop 16, which is Happy Isles and the trailhead is here. When you get to the bottom of Vernal Falls, you have the option of going up another longer, but easier trail, or you can take the Mist Trail, which is next to the river. I suggest you take the Mist Trail even though it's steeper. The cooling mist from the falls is a welcome in the heat of September. Just be careful as things can get quite steep and slippery! Take a break when you get to the top of Vernal Falls, then head up to Nevada Falls. If you're feeling adventurous, you can continue up to Half Dome and climb to its top, but it is quite a long hike! It's about 20 miles roundtrip and it's one of the most difficult climbs in the park. I haven't done this hike yet, but I will one of these days.

As you can see, there is so much to do in Yosemite. I've gone there multiple times, and there is always something new to see. Just be sure to bring lots of water and snacks for those long hikes and don't hike alone as there are plenty of bears and mountain lions in the area.

A couple of great books I recommend are "100 Hikes in Yosemite National Park" by Marc Soares and "Yosemite National Park" by Lonely Planet. I always carry these two books with me whenever I go to Yosemite. Have a great time!

238602473_mrtd6-M.jpg
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Zoe,
    Thanks so much for the recomendations!! I had almost given up on this thread since it had been up for so long without any responses! Awesome photos also! Hope I come back with a couple almost that good!!! :D

Thanks again! It will definitely help me plan my brief stay there! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Zoe,
    Thanks so much for the recomendations!! I had almost given up on this thread since it had been up for so long without any responses! Awesome photos also! Hope I come back with a couple almost that good!!! :D

You're welcome :D
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Zoe,

I didn't even see this thread until recently. There's only a few suggestions I can make. First I would suggest the book The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite this book will help you figure out where you want to be for sunrise and sunsets.

The other thing I would suggest the first day try and do a complete tour of the park if possible. Since you're staying in wawona the roads work out perfectly to do a one day car tour. Start in wawona then hit the valley then hit the high coutry (Tuolumne meadows). I suggest that only so you can get an idea of where you want to concentrate on.
    Of course looking at the photographers book and the hiking book that zoeblue suggested might decide what you want to do and where you want to go.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    I didn't even see this thread until recently. There's only a few suggestions I can make. First I would suggest the book The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite this book will help you figure out where you want to be for sunrise and sunsets.

The other thing I would suggest the first day try and do a complete tour of the park if possible. Since you're staying in wawona the roads work out perfectly to do a one day car tour. Start in wawona then hit the valley then hit the high coutry (Tuolumne meadows). I suggest that only so you can get an idea of where you want to concentrate on.
    Of course looking at the photographers book and the hiking book that zoeblue suggested might decide what you want to do and where you want to go.

-Philip

Great suggestion Philip!! Thank you!

I saw that book on Amazon about a week ago and just couldn't make up my mind between that and another I found there. But, the price and your suggestion have sealed the deal! I'll order it after my reply!! :D

Great idea about the car tour! My first day, I might not have time, driving from San Diego, setting up camp, etc. But It wouldn't be a bad idea for day 2. I may miss an opportunity or two doing it that way this trip, but I'll be better prepared for my next visit!!

Thanks again!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos