Options

Flying ants

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in Holy Macro
This is what happened when I found a queen of the black ant lasius niger on my car and carefully manoevered a male drone ant near her.
I'm fairly sure they have pheromone identifiers that prevent members from closely related colonies breeding together. AFAIK each ant nest only releases one sex at a time - the ants near my back door were only releasing males.

Brian V.

Queen black ant Lasius niger

2696075307_050dd7d2d4_o.jpg

2696075311_fe84c8132f_o.jpg

Hmm- nice rear end

2696075315_fd392471f8_o.jpg

Time for first kiss

2696075331_2cecf7918f_o.jpg

Hmm let me think about this

2696075333_6622a8cf2c_o.jpg

The drone then patiently explained that he didn't think they were compatable and walked off

2696075339_de896b9313_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    This is what happened when I found a queen of the black ant lasius niger on my car and carefully manoevered a male drone ant near her.
    I'm fairly sure they have pheromone identifiers that prevent members from closely related colonies breeding together. AFAIK each ant nest only releases one sex at a time - the ants near my back door were only releasing males.

Brian V.

Hmm- nice rear end

Time for first kiss

The drone then patiently explained that he didn't think they were compatable and walked off

Excellent series Brian. Well done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    That's very intertesting, and great photos to boot too Brian.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Next week on The Bug and the Beautiful, will the drone discover it's long lost brother only to lose him again in a tragic food gathering accident and an unexpected case of amnesia????? Stay tuned...
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks for the comments all :)

CMP- think I could have trouble with that story line :D

Brian V.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008

Brian V.

Hmm- nice rear end
    Time for first kiss

This is very educational Brian, would have been quite interesting to watch in real life.

She's quite a nice speciemen... the female.

Great series Brian, I was thinking your images would end with the male getting killed, but that didn't happen.

Thanks for sharing clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks for the comments all :)

CMP- think I could have trouble with that story line :D

Brian V.

I don't see why. Soap operas lie about the future all the time or change a plot midstream, that's what makes them so horrible, or great, if you're into soap operas. And there's witches and vampires and time warps and ghosts, and weird medical cases and dying of heartbreak and many many many weddings and divorces and he said she said mysterious disappearances and torture chambers.

All you need a few pics of some drones sort of conglomerated nearby each other and you have soap opera for ants gold!
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Thanks again for the comments :)

Skippy/Phil. The female was amazingly placid whilst this was going on, just moving her head a bit every now and then. She stayed in the same place for another 5 mins before toddling off.

Brian v.
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    This is very educational Brian, would have been quite interesting to watch in real life.

She's quite a nice speciemen... the female.

Great series Brian, I was thinking your images would end with the male getting killed, but that didn't happen.

Thanks for sharing clap.gif ... Skippy :D

15524779-Ti.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker