Options

Noise control help

faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 24, 2008 in Finishing School
So, I just started using a 1D MK IIn. The images that it produces are softer than I'm used to and I haven't really played around with sharpening tools in CS2 very much, mostly because I didn't think I needed to. I don't shoot RAW that often, but if it would help with post processing, maybe I'll focus on shooting RAW more in the future. What I'm noticing is that I get a lot of noise in my images when I sharpen them. For these photos it won't matter so much since they'll be printed relatively small for a CD cover. But the model and I would like to print some larger versions for selling on the side. So, I need some help with figuring out how to get the noise down to a minimum. Any suggestions? These are small versions of the photos I'd like to fix, but you can see the original file size here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/faust0matic/

If you look at the originals, they were saved at 3600 x 3600 (12" x 12" at 300 ppi). I'm worried that if I try to print 12" x 12" the noise will be visible. Am I doing something wrong when I process them or is noise always going to be a byproduct of sharpening?

If it helps with figuring out the source of the noise, I used the following for this shot:
1D MK IIn
20-35 L
No Flash
ISO 200
-1/3 exposure
25mm @ f/2.8
Jpeg Large/Fine

And yes, all 3 versions are the same shot, just different color treatments. I had problems with noise in all three, but to different degrees.

Oh, and if you see anything else that stands out as something wrong with my photo shop work, please say something. I'm self-taught. If I didn't apply something I read in a magazine, I figured it out on my own, so you're not going to hurt my feelings if you point out a flaw. I seem to miss the obvious a lot.

Here's the three photos in question:

2688165383_b2bba1dd6c_m.jpg">2692655834_bd4d8039a3_m.jpg">2691840227_eb01c34929_m.jpg">

Comments