Options

The best way to save an image file?

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hmm..never bin in this part of the forum before...Hope it´s not to scary =)

I have a question about file formats.

It´s obvious that .jpeg is way to compressed to look good in color transitions and so on.

I have the basic smugmug account and can´t uppload files bigger then 12mb.
So what´s the way to go here? .tiff .png? i don´t know so please help me out here :D

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    What software are you using? If you save your files as JPEGs at Photoshop quality level of 10 (and full resolution) they'll be smaller than the limit but won't sacrifice quality. If you're going to be reopening & saving the image multiple times it's probably a good idea to save it as .PSD or .TIFF until you are ready to upload it - then you can make a JPEG version for upload. If you're not using Photoshop, let us know so we can give you tips specific to your workflow.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    Hmm..never bin in this part of the forum before...Hope it´s not to scary =)

I have a question about file formats.

It´s obvious that .jpeg is way to compressed to look good in color transitions and so on.

I have the basic smugmug account and can´t uppload files bigger then 12mb.
    So what´s the way to go here? .tiff .png? i don´t know so please help me out here :D

Agree that JPG 10 is the way to go. TIFF is going to be much larger and SmugMug does not accept them anyway. PNG will be much smaller, but you will lose most of the color information, so it's not suitable for photos. If you are shooting RAW, you should make sure to keep a copy of the original file somewhere.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Agree that JPG 10 is the way to go. TIFF is going to be much larger and SmugMug does not accept them anyway. PNG will be much smaller, but you will lose most of the color information, so it's not suitable for photos. If you are shooting RAW, you should make sure to keep a copy of the original file somewhere.

HTH.

I use cs3 and i save my files as 10 quality Jpg...I still think that the transitions in color is not good enough..

look at the sky on this photo..you can see the "lines" passing from one color to another..Don´t like it :D

337854766_buBYt-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Try saving as a jpg quality of 12....see if that does any better for you.....it should still be under the 12mb limit.....if that doesnot make the grade for you....it could be sensor problem.....I use a KM7D which is 6mp and i have only had one photo that had actual sky transitions that I could see in the photo.....I had been shooting with a friend and checked his photos were the same.....I also shoot in Raw+jpg and it was in both of my files as well as my friends file.......so I deemed it was not camera but an anomaly of the atmosphere.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Try saving as a jpg quality of 12....see if that does any better for you.....it should still be under the 12mb limit.....if that doesnot make the grade for you....it could be sensor problem.....I use a KM7D which is 6mp and i have only had one photo that had actual sky transitions that I could see in the photo.....I had been shooting with a friend and checked his photos were the same.....I also shoot in Raw+jpg and it was in both of my files as well as my friends file.......so I deemed it was not camera but an anomaly of the atmosphere.................

The thing is that when i process my images i make sure there are no cracking colours etc. Looks flawless when working with a raw image in photoshop CS3..When saved into lvl 12 jpegs, this happens.