Options

**Ch. 37** Sunset Gears-Digital Faerie

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited April 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm baaaaaack. *insert scary movie music here*

ahhh, it's good to be back though. I've missed these challenges! So here's my take on 37.

Sunset Gears (click pic for EXIF)

20139186-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    wow what beautiful gears! Great patterns, and I love the light! I was ondering what it would look like more head on, if there would be more pattern in thatne_nau.gif I really love this idea! I think macro lenses are going to get a work out on this challenge...It looks like fun:D

Gears....now why didn't i think of thatheadscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I hate to even say the word "soft", I have stressed over it myself so much today.

I love the gears, love the colors, but the part closest to the camera, maybe if you turned it, or did something the focus might be better. Might be OK now, but it looks a bit soft to me.

It is great to have you back. We can have fun working the challenge. I don't have a macro lens, and I have no plans to buy one. I have an idea, but I would prefer something in the middle of the day instead of sunrise.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    wow what beautiful gears! Great patterns, and I love the light! I was ondering what it would look like more head on, if there would be more pattern in thatne_nau.gif I really love this idea! I think macro lenses are going to get a work out on this challenge...It looks like fun:D

Gears....now why didn't i think of thatheadscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    funny you should mention a more head on approach. I was thinking the same thing towards the end of the set, only Mr. Wind didn't like my posterboard too much and decided to keep moving the gears around on me. after 5 minutes of that I said to heck with it and went inside, Laughing.gif.

I love those gears. I want more of 'em so everytime I see an abandoned engine I want to take it apart and get all of it's innards.

thanks! :D
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I hate to even say the word "soft", I have stressed over it myself so much today.

I love the gears, love the colors, but the part closest to the camera, maybe if you turned it, or did something the focus might be better. Might be OK now, but it looks a bit soft to me.

It is great to have you back. We can have fun working the challenge. I don't have a macro lens, and I have no plans to buy one. I have an idea, but I would prefer something in the middle of the day instead of sunrise.

ginger
    yeah, I thought about the portruding part, I kinda like it soft and I kinda don't at the same time. I think I'm going to try this shot again playing more with the sunset.....

unfortunately, I don't really have a good separate macro lens, so the focal length isn't big enough (I think I'm sayin' that right) to incorporate the portruding portion. that was shot on f/8 if that tells you anything.

thanks ginger!
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005

I can't help with the music, but I can add some audio. :D
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I love the gears, the precision, repetition, and color are great, and I actually like the angle too. I was thinking about opening up my rollei and shooting the winding mechanism but I'm afraid that I'll not be able to put it back together. Take this for what it's worth, IMHO the background is what is wrong with the shot, some how the white board kills the warmth of the gears, I would try shooting them sitting on something more interesting. ne_nau.gif

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    nice
    you sure got some pretty gears
    girl :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    I love the gears, the precision, repetition, and color are great, and I actually like the angle too. I was thinking about opening up my rollei and shooting the winding mechanism but I'm afraid that I'll not be able to put it back together. Take this for what it's worth, IMHO the background is what is wrong with the shot, some how the white board kills the warmth of the gears, I would try shooting them sitting on something more interesting. ne_nau.gif

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    I have spare mirror planes that might make for an interesting shot if I could get some pretty sunset-lit clouds on it......or something else cool lookin'

hmmmm, I dunno now. I like the juxtaposition of "warmth" & "gears", lol, I know you're referring to the color, but it's kinda cool, because gears are cold. ok, now I'm just rambling.

thanks guys!
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I can't help with the music, but I can add some audio. :D
    rolleyes1.gif for some reason it won't play but I see it's the terminator, hehe.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Welcome back DF wave.gif

As an engi-nerd, i love the gears. But I gotta agree with Ginger, that big OOF spot right in the front and center really grabs my attention away from the gears. Also, not sure if the patern is strong enough for a repetition challenge. The shafts of the gears are taking up more space in the frame than the repeated teeth are.

What you need is the innards of the 5 stage 1000:1 gear reducer I have torn down in the lab right now mwink.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005

ahhh, it's good to be back though. I've missed these challenges! So here's my take on 37.

Sunset Gears (click pic for EXIF)
    Hi DF,

Good to hear from you again. I'm back too! I have not been doing the challenges for a while. I've got a new camera. The Rebel XT. I'm going to give it a try for this challenge. I'm using the kit lens.

I love your gears. I would try to get the gears closer to the front to avoid that shaft being the center of the picture if not "focus". I'm having the same problem with DOF myself. I agree with the idea of the warmth of the sun and "cold" gears.
    Good idea, keep with it.:D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Welcome back DF wave.gif

As an engi-nerd, i love the gears. But I gotta agree with Ginger, that big OOF spot right in the front and center really grabs my attention away from the gears. Also, not sure if the patern is strong enough for a repetition challenge. The shafts of the gears are taking up more space in the frame than the repeated teeth are.

What you need is the innards of the 5 stage 1000:1 gear reducer I have torn down in the lab right now mwink.gif
    Hey Doc! yes, I'm going to agree with you for sure on that protruding shaft (hehe, that could sound dirty rolleyes1.gif ) and that it is distracting.

I have a cool idea for the gears I just have to wait for this cold front to be over with. I have a shoot to do with a band today on Grandfather Mtn. of all places and it's going to be snowing. umph.gif

and if you ever have any suggestions on certain engines I should look out for (even though I have no idea what a gear reducer is) please let me know. I have a BIG GEAR FETISH.

with all these industrial bands I work with it would be PERFECT!!! How big are these gears you're talkin' about?
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi DF,

Good to hear from you again. I'm back too! I have not been doing the challenges for a while. I've got a new camera. The Rebel XT. I'm going to give it a try for this challenge. I'm using the kit lens.

I love your gears. I would try to get the gears closer to the front to avoid that shaft being the center of the picture if not "focus". I'm having the same problem with DOF myself. I agree with the idea of the warmth of the sun and "cold" gears.
    Good idea, keep with it.:D
    Snappy! *hugs* I hear ya on the new cam. With this money coming from assignments I hope to buy another camera with a much faster lens to accommodate concert photography better. I also need a better macro lens.

thanks for your feedback as always!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 23, 2005
    and if you ever have any suggestions on certain engines I should look out for (even though I have no idea what a gear reducer is) please let me know. I have a BIG GEAR FETISH.

with all these industrial bands I work with it would be PERFECT!!! How big are these gears you're talkin' about?
    What you actually want to look for are motors (as in, electric motors). Engines have big heavy gears, motors are usually coupled to gearheads with lots of stages and lots of teeth. The gear reducer I was talking about is for a servo motor - so the motor spins at somewhere in the vicinity of 8000 rpm. The output shaft of the motor goes into the gearhead and there are a series of stages of gear reduction, and the output shaft of the gear reduces then goes 8 rpm, hence 1000:1 reduction. Get it? Now can you imagine how many little teeth I have in there? :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]