s5 Pro

wowhotwowhot Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited July 28, 2008 in Cameras
Hi every one
the Fuji S5 Pro

Im wrighing a book and i want to hear all your words For and Against the Camera..

If you have one better still let the Dirt out about it.

Every little idea can help
Architectural and Interior Photography
http://www.whanphoto.com

Comments

• geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    This has been nominated thread of the year!!
    rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, I've never used it. I've heard its an absolutely fabulous wedding photography camera though because it really brings out skin tones well.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    This is a global forum, let's all give people the benefit of the doubt.

I'm rather grateful for folks that type posts in English, even though it's not their native language.

I removed some unncessary posts.

Wowhot wants input for & against the Fuji S5.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    I've never used the S5, but have talked to people extremely grateful for its dynamic range when shooting weddings. Really helps especially when shooting outdoors with the white dress. The Fuji SLR's were almost the rout I went when I was choosing a system years back.
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Sorry Wowhot,

I was just poking fun. No harm intended! thumb.gif

The S2 Pro has terrific dynamic range and produces colours very vividly (this is relatively widely known). I'm not sure if its as good as it once was now with the newer gamut of DSLRS. I know the D700 coming out and the D300 (already out) provide excellent dynamic range as well. ne_nau.gif

My only flag with this camera (this is not from experience though) is that I keep reading about the compression issue regarding Fuji. Although advertised as a 12MP camera, it is truly only a 6MP camera that uses excellent interpolation techniques to create a 12MP image.

It seems one can't go wrong for the price though. Personally, I would love to have one as a spare camera body. It can handle all my nikon lenses and the sensor looks to be more built on picture and colour quality, rather than the amount of megapixels.

Excellent review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092502fujifilms5pro.asp
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/fuji_s5/Fuji_S5_review.html

I hope this has been of some help. :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Writing a book about a camera that you have never used? Sounds like an interesting exercise.

The Fuji S5 is based on the Nikon D200 body which has already been replaced by the D300. The S5 produced wonderful skin tones and was a wedding photographer's dream. Unfortunately, the S5 was also very slow. Many uses tired of it's slow write speeds and small buffer.

I'm not even sure if this camera is still for sale. If it is, I can't imaging anyone wanting to buy one with the new Nikon lineup available (D300, D700 and D3) which are all far superior to the Fuji S5.

Good luck with your book.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Writing a book about a camera that you have never used? Sounds like an interesting exercise.

The Fuji S5 is based on the Nikon D200 body which has already been replaced by the D300. The S5 produced wonderful skin tones and was a wedding photographer's dream. Unfortunately, the S5 was also very slow. Many uses tired of it's slow write speeds and small buffer.

I'm not even sure if this camera is still for sale. If it is, I can't imaging anyone wanting to buy one with the new Nikon lineup available (D300, D700 and D3) which are all far superior to the Fuji S5.

Good luck with your book.

It's currently out of stock at B&H and a couple stores I know don't have any either. But as for why would you want it still, even with the great offerings from Nikon the Fuji does create some amazing results. I have a bit of experience with the S3 Pro and for some studio or portrait work. It's amazing.

It definitely is not my top choice as a general use camera but in its "fields of expertise" I would take it over any other digital SLR currently for sale
  • wowhotwowhot Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Paris Photographer
    thank you for controling the people on my fourm,

Kind regards Ed
    Architectural and Interior Photography
    http://www.whanphoto.com
  • ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I've shot with nothing but Fuji S2, S3's. Fantastic camera's if you're not concerned with "speed". I didn't buy the S5 because I heard there wasn't much improvement in that area and I'm at a point where I need to add a camera and it's killing me NOT to go Fuji. I want the IR but the price is ridiculous.

I think I'm going for the D300 this time around though but only for Speed reasons. I don't do a lot of wedding, portrait stuff but I can tell you that 2 of the major high school yearbook companies in the area just bought all new Fuji S5 cameras.

They should had brought the S5 closer to the D300 instead of always being a step behind Nikon.
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography