Playing with filters

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited July 26, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Since it's way too hot to be out shooting, I started playing with the artistic filters in Photoshop, thinking that if anything decent came out I might enter it in the current challenge. Don't know whether these are decent or not, but since the shots are out of the legal date range, I figured I'd share them here.

Luca:
337894420_uLYnD-L.jpg

Street Scene (Lavapies, Madrid)
337898324_2tsdP-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Cheers,

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Cool images Richard. Like 2 very much thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Hi Richard...

These are definitely different. I'm a little partial to the cat image ( and my three cats voted for that one ).

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks for commenting, Dan and Tom. I appreciate it. thumb.gif
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    cat was cool. The garbage you posted for #2 was actually pretty cool too. Looks like some sort of animation screen shot taken from a movie. Nice work.
    edited July 25, 2008
    cat was cool. The garbage you posted for #2 was actually pretty cool too. Looks like some sort of animation screen shot taken from a movie. Nice work.

Glad you liked them. Thanks.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    I like both too. Much as I love cats, though, I think #2 is really exceptional. I think it would be a contender in the current challenge if it had been taken during the challenge period. The filer works really well in bringing life and interest to the urban street shot.

Virginia

Email
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Playing with the filters in Photoshop is fun.

I like #2 the best thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Since it's way too hot to be out shooting, I started playing with the artistic filters in Photoshop, thinking that if anything decent came out I might enter it in the current challenge. Don't know whether these are decent or not, but since the shots are out of the legal date range, I figured I'd share them here.

Luca:
    Street Scene (Lavapies, Madrid)

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Cheers,

Hi Richard, I like both shots, I am drawn to the cats eyes,
    the face is quite striking even with the odd colouration of the fur.

Did you use the Plastic Wrap filter on the second shot?
    It's very effective, makes it sort of 3D I like how everything stands out.

Nicely done Richard clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited July 26, 2008
    Thanks a lot, Virginia and Mary. Yes, these filters are fun, but it's easy to get carried away with them. Mostly, I have just been trying to figure out what they all do.

Skippy: The cat's eyes were lightened slightly, but otherwise not subjected to any of the filters. So normal stands out, or at least that's what I intended.

The second one uses chrome, not plastic wrap, but it's a little more complicated than that. I applied the chrome filter then put that layer into exclusion blending mode at low opacity. I copied that layer and put it into multiply mode, which darkened the whole thing. Then I put a masked copy of the figure from the original shot on top of it all and did some minor curve tweaking. Thank goodness for CS logging, or I would never remember what the hell I did. :D