Options

Sedona

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited July 30, 2008 in Journeys
Hi Ya'll,

I took a trip to Sedona, AZ back in May. It was a vacation trip with Linda so I didn't get as much time to do serious photography as I would have liked but it was a fun trip and definitely a place I would love to return to and do some serious shooting. All of the images were taken with the D3 & D300 with the 28-70 2.8 and 14-24 2.8 lenses.

The Town
Sedona is unfortunately a touristy place with some excellent galleries surrounded by a horde of tourist trash shops.

They are real big on pigs :dunno
337752362_UCVst-XL.jpg

Scuplture is everywhere
337752394_JqtXM-L.jpg

337752430_4bxBX-L.jpg

337752827_nPVg6-L.jpg

The town is real interesting
337752439_PZkbH-L.jpg

337752774_hmKHs-L.jpg

337752810_KKfA2-L.jpg

When Linda took a short break from shopping we managed to get out of town
337752079_VNe4U-XL.jpg

337752172_D7VnB-XL.jpg

337752173_sXxJY-XL.jpg

337752313_adxxX-XL.jpg

337752352_Rz2gf-XL.jpg

337752617_iJMm5-XL.jpg

337752505_qPRmp-XL.jpg

337752878_HpRxt-XL.jpg

337752325_AmQuK-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    clap.gifWe've threatened to get to Sedona several times. I think I'll move it up a little higher in the queue after seeing these. Very nice series! I love red rock areas. Did you rent the pink jeep, oh, wait that looks like a tour type jeep?
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    clap.gifWe've threatened to get to Sedona several times. I think I'll move it up a little higher in the queue after seeing these. Very nice series! I love red rock areas. Did you rent the pink jeep, oh, wait that looks like a tour type jeep?

That is definitely a tour jeep, the company is called surpringly, Pink Jeeps. We lucked out and were the only passengers so we managed to tell the driver to can the script. They will do custom tours which is what I will opt for when I get back there.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Thanks for the tour, Harry! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    We went to Sedona on our honeymoon back in May 06 and had the time of our lives. Our pink jeep tour was the best! We were also the only ones on the jeep, which makes it much much more fun. Such a magical place! Thanks for sharing! iloveyou.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Wow! Great photos Harry! Surprisingly the only bird in that series is a statue.

Skippy, April, my wife and I are kicking off our dgrin pre-shoout with a couple days Sedona. Any suggestions for must see, or must eat at places??? So far the only thing we have set up is affordable lodging and an expensive sunrise hot air balloon trip.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Been there many times Harry, and did the Pink Jeep thing as well. It sure is a beautiful and unique place :ivar
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks for the tour, Harry! thumb.gif

You're welcome
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    We went to Sedona on our honeymoon back in May 06 and had the time of our lives. Our pink jeep tour was the best! We were also the only ones on the jeep, which makes it much much more fun. Such a magical place! Thanks for sharing! iloveyou.gif

A great place for a honeymoon. The Pink Jeep tours are a good buy.
    Harry
  • Options
    kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Fantastic shots and perfect timing.

I am going to Sedona in September and am in the process of preparing to think about making the bookings for flight, accomodations and rentals. I'm really excited about the trip because this will be my first trip to the desert. And as a bonus, I will have the advantage of having a local as a guide. Well, that's not really the bonus, but it helps. :D Let your twisted little minds go wild at this point. Hey, and she shoots with a Nikon too. wings.gif

I only hope that I can capture something remotely close to your's Harry.
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Harry - thanks for giving me a taste of the West! I grew up in Utah and have family in AZ so it's great to see some familiar landscapes. It looks like you had a great time! You couldn't resist at least one bird shot I see.. :D

Thanks for the trip!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
    Nice trip Harry!

Quick question. Do you know who designed the church amid the rocks? That's, architecturally, a nice building.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Ya'll,

I took a trip to Sedona, AZ back in May. It was a vacation trip with Linda so I didn't get as much time to do serious photography as I would have liked but it was a fun trip and definitely a place I would love to return to and do some serious shooting. All of the images were taken with the D3 & D300 with the 28-70 2.8 and 14-24 2.8 lenses.

The Town
    Sedona is unfortunately a touristy place with some excellent galleries surrounded by a horde of tourist trash shops.

They are real big on pigs ne_nau.gif

Scuplture is everywhere
    The town is real interesting
    When Linda took a short break from shopping we managed to get out of town

Thank you so much for showing us these shots Harry,
    Andrew, Kathy, April and I will be there in October to do some serious shooting, and a Hot Air Balloon flight too, pre to meeting up with everyone in UTAH for the SmugMug/Dgrin Annual Shoot.

I have been there before, many many years ago, but only on a day trip,
    which I only remember the amazing scenery we passed on the way.

We're all looking forward to the trip, thanks for the sneak peak clap.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice trip Harry!

Quick question. Do you know who designed the church amid the rocks? That's, architecturally, a nice building.

That's the Chapel of the Holy Cross and the info on it can be found here.
    Harry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks for the pointer Harry. I was almost certain it was a FLW building--not FLW but a student of his.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    These are cool !! :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Man... I've got to go to Arizona sometime. These are cool. Thanks for sharing!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Thanks for the pointer Harry. I was almost certain it was a FLW building--not FLW but a student of his.

If you make it to Phoenix you will want to see Taliesin West then for sure. You can tour parts of it but not all because it is still an operating part of The Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture.

Arcosanti is another one which is between Phoenix and Sedona.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Looks like you had a good time Harry.

Did you make up into Oak Creek or over to Jerome?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Wow! Great photos Harry! Surprisingly the only bird in that series is a statue.

Skippy, April, my wife and I are kicking off our dgrin pre-shoout with a couple days Sedona. Any suggestions for must see, or must eat at places??? So far the only thing we have set up is affordable lodging and an expensive sunrise hot air balloon trip.

All of the area around Sedona is a must see. :D The trouble is getting the time to see it all. I would contact Pink Jeeps and arrange a custom tour from them. Avoid the regular packaged deals and tell them you want photo ops and not a demonstration of how a jeep can handle vertical climbs and descends. :yikes

The restaurants I dealt with in Sedona were either cheap and terrible or excellent and expensive. There's a arts and crafts village called Tiaqupaque with some very good restuarants and galleries.
    Harry
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    All of the area around Sedona is a must see. :D The trouble is getting the time to see it all. I would contact Pink Jeeps and arrange a custom tour from them. Avoid the regular packaged deals and tell them you want photo ops and not a demonstration of how a jeep can handle vertical climbs and descends. :yikes

The restaurants I dealt with in Sedona were either cheap and terrible or excellent and expensive. There's a arts and crafts village called Tiaqupaque with some very good restuarants and galleries.

Thanks Harry! We'll definately check out the pink jeep tours!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Been there many times Harry, and did the Pink Jeep thing as well. It sure is a beautiful and unique place :ivar

Thaks Dan and it is a wonderful place to visit.
    Harry
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Nice series of shots Harry!!
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Beauriful images and memories Harry
    Been waiting to see these:>))
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Great shots, Harry. I love the shot of the church. What unusual architecture.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Great pictures, Harry!
    greenpea wrote:
    Wow! [Any] must eat at places???

Hog Wild.

There's also a camera store across the street from the Sinagua store shown in one of Harry's images (maybe not directly across, but not far) for your photographic needs. And don't forget the mystic elements of Sedona: Vortexes and UFOs and such.

My oldest sister lives in Sedona, so I get free tours and a place to stay. rolleyes1.gif Another sister will be moving there this October.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    kundalini wrote:
    Fantastic shots and perfect timing.

I am going to Sedona in September and am in the process of preparing to think about making the bookings for flight, accomodations and rentals. I'm really excited about the trip because this will be my first trip to the desert. And as a bonus, I will have the advantage of having a local as a guide. Well, that's not really the bonus, but it helps. :D Let your twisted little minds go wild at this point. Hey, and she shoots with a Nikon too. wings.gif

I only hope that I can capture something remotely close to your's Harry.

You'll have a great time there. A local as a guide will be fantastic. thumb.gif If you can reserve a balloon ride ASAP. I took too long and got shut out as they were booked up the week I visited.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    CSwinton wrote:
    Harry - thanks for giving me a taste of the West! I grew up in Utah and have family in AZ so it's great to see some familiar landscapes. It looks like you had a great time! You couldn't resist at least one bird shot I see.. :D

Thanks for the trip!

It was a pretty good time except for one day. Naturally on the day we set aside for me to spend the day just doing photography it had to rain for the first time in 45 days. :bash
    Harry
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Thanks for the Pink Jeep recommendations!

I'm currently researching Pink Jeep Tours for Andrew, Kathy, Skippy and myself and have a few questions.

Which tour did you take? And what time did you depart? What tour do you recommend?

I've asked them about a photography trip and the said that we would have to purchase all the seats for that specific jeep tour (four people, payment for seven or eight people).

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Thanks for the Pink Jeep recommendations!

I'm currently researching Pink Jeep Tours for Andrew, Kathy, Skippy and myself and have a few questions.

Which tour did you take? And what time did you depart? What tour do you recommend?

I've asked them about a photography trip and the said that we would have to purchase all the seats for that specific jeep tour (four people, payment for seven or eight people).

Thanks!

We did the Broken Arrow/Scenic Rim combo tour at 7:00 AM. Since Linda and I were the only two passengers we got to modify it a bit to get some photography in. I was very happy with that tour.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Thank you so much for showing us these shots Harry,
    Andrew, Kathy, April and I will be there in October to do some serious shooting, and a Hot Air Balloon flight too, pre to meeting up with everyone in UTAH for the SmugMug/Dgrin Annual Shoot.

I have been there before, many many years ago, but only on a day trip,
    which I only remember the amazing scenery we passed on the way.

We're all looking forward to the trip, thanks for the sneak peak clap.gif
    ... Skippy :D

You will have a real good time in Sedona.
    Harry