Canon S2IS/ memory card question

StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited July 26, 2008 in Cameras
My wife owns a Canon S2IS, and she recently bought a new SD card (8 GB) so she would have more memory for the videos she likes to shoot.
It came in yesterday, and when she put it in the camera, she got a "Memory Card Error" message. She has two other SD cards for the camera (MUCH smaller capacity) but has never had this problem. My 20D uses a compact flash card, and I've never had this message pop up, either. I tried to format the card, but it wouldn't let me click on "format" in the menu.
I don't have any other equipment that uses an SD card, so I can't test it to see if it's the card that's the problem.
Does anyone use any of the "S*IS" Canons, and does anyone know of a problem with high-capacity cards for these models?
MANY thanks!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comments

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    SD and SDHC (high capacity, 8gb and up, I think) are two different formats.

You'd probably have to update the firmware to use SDHC.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Believe your camera was before the SD-HC spec, so likely doesn't support cards 4GB and above.
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Believe your camera was before the SD-HC spec, so likely doesn't support cards 4GB and above.

According to the manual the max size of a video is 1GB no matter how big the card is. (And I believe that 4GB is as big as I got to work in mine.)
  • StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    I appreciate the responses.

You're right...the S2 doesn't handle a card that big.

So she test drove an S5...iloveyou.gif
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    So she test drove an S5...iloveyou.gif

I love mine. deal.gif