Big Boy!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in People
OK, I am about half done with my edits, but before I continue, Id like to hear your thoughts on what I have so far. This is my nephew from yesterday. He is 8 months old, and is a bruiser!

She gave me an etimated nap time, and I was ready to roll as soon as she called to say he wasn't wanting to nap at his "normal" time. I went anyway and got things set up. He was in good spirits so I began taking photos before the nap. I also shot some of him sleeping...and then with his mom when he woke up. He was very peacful throughout!

C&C for sure!:D

1-
338051384_Xd9oH-L-1.jpg

2-
338050786_7UFdP-L-1.jpg

3-
338051068_GXq2r-L-1.jpg

4-
338050397_3uXgR-M-1.jpg

5-
338050034_VAK99-M-1.jpg

6-
338051727_tcU5Q-M-1.jpg

7-
338053208_SuYWT-M-1.jpg

8-
338053581_SfP9m-M-1.jpg

9-
338052797_SfJGR-M-1.jpg

10-
338052113_RTaPY-M-1.jpg

11-Most of what is left to edit are of mother and son. This one was taken about midway through the shoot...and just before he fell asleep!
338053966_vnsXT-M-1.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    very nice lighting as always
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Awww, he is a big boy, he looks so yummy!! rolleyes1.gif
    Great shots Jeff! I like the processing as well.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Jeff....great lighting and consistent processing. They're sharp and good comps. He really is a bruiser..Laughing.gif:D I really like them and understand the sepia you've chosen here...keeps them consistent. The last is very nice. I don't know what these look like in color as you do. I think she'll be thrilled. Love the selective focus on the feet....quite nice.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Beeeeeaaaautiful!!!!! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I don't know about that last one... eek7.gif nodiaper with a boy..... :cry oh my...

What a face on that boy!!! SO emotional and what grand eyes! I like the nostalgic purple cast on the pics. It's a nice detour from b/w and selective colour BUT i love those too. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    iloveyou.giflust Beautiful :D
    Great photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Jeff....great lighting and consistent processing. They're sharp and good comps. He really is a bruiser..Laughing.gif:D I really like them and understand the sepia you've chosen here...keeps them consistent. The last is very nice. I don't know what these look like in color as you do. I think she'll be thrilled. Love the selective focus on the feet....quite nice.

Well they look thouroughly like crud in color! We planned from the get go for a warm monotone look and so the blanket we shot him on...and her clothing...and other elements we used in some photos not shown here are all mismatched as far as color goes, but it wasn't an issue since we "planned" for monotones. Most of what she has hanging on her walls are either BW or warm monotones of this ilk. I was aiming to be consistant with what they will hang next to.

Thanks for the detailed reply!thumb.gif
    edited July 24, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    very nice lighting as always

Thanks. These were all shot with window light, and many utilized an off camera flash to help ease the shadows a bit.
    edited July 24, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Awww, he is a big boy, he looks so yummy!! rolleyes1.gif
    Great shots Jeff! I like the processing as well.

Thanks Marina!!!

I haven't done baby photos in a while. We had fun!
    edited July 24, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Beeeeeaaaautiful!!!!! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

Is that all the critique I get out of you?rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Angie!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    These are very nice. He is such a solid looking baby. Very adorable!
    edited July 24, 2008
    I don't know about that last one... eek7.gif nodiaper with a boy..... :cry oh my...

What a face on that boy!!! SO emotional and what grand eyes! I like the nostalgic purple cast on the pics. It's a nice detour from b/w and selective colour BUT i love those too. :D

Purple?eek7.gif

Do you calibrate?

Thanks for the comments. BTW... boy are girl matters not one iota to mothers for this type of photography. I will say this though....so you know...on my authority...he is a pretty good aim.mwink.gif
    edited July 24, 2008
    iloveyou.giflust Beautiful :D
    Great photos

Thanks Awais. I appreciate you taking the time to say so!
    edited July 24, 2008
    These are very nice. He is such a solid looking baby. Very adorable!

Oh he is very solid. Ready for the octagon this one!!

Thanks for commenting Julie. Do you see any processing issues?headscratch.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Oh, Jeff! I am loving these! Like from about 3 on, I just oohed and aaahed.
    Very nicely done. I love the lighting and processing. Excellent work!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Oh he is very solid. Ready for the octagon this one!!

Thanks for commenting Julie. Do you see any processing issues?headscratch.gif

I seriously don't see anything wrong with these. I think they are fabulous, of course I love your work anyway. I think on #6 I would have preferred his full body, but it looks like his left leg was away from his body? That might have made the pic awkward. I love them all:D
    edited July 24, 2008
    Oh, Jeff! I am loving these! Like from about 3 on, I just oohed and aaahed.
    Very nicely done. I love the lighting and processing. Excellent work!

Oh so thats your critique?....ooh and aaah?:D

I am thrilled that you like them. I think I stared at them too long todayheadscratch.gif ...during editing.

I was pleased with the fact that I had plenty of natural light to work with...and was therefore able to control the flash very well to keep them from looking...well...flashy.

Thanks for your kind remarks!
    edited July 24, 2008
    I seriously don't see anything wrong with these. I think they are fabulous, of course I love your work anyway. I think on #6 I would have preferred his full body, but it looks like his left leg was away from his body? That might have made the pic awkward. I love them all:D

OK...just curious...I have stared at them too long today and am seeing gremlins in them. I will take a break and start fresh tommorrow on the rest. FWIW...I viewed the baby shots on your blog to prepare my mind for these.:D

So...thank you!

On #6...yes his other leg would have looked awkward. Keeping with my traditional approach, these will not be cropped until I order prints. I think that one wont look so awkward in a more traditional ratio. I think.mwink.gif
    edited July 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Purple?eek7.gif .mwink.gif

Work monitor, I come to work and look at my galleries and go "Oh heck no! I didn't notice all this pixellating! Those artifacts! Yellow?? Who put yellow there!" and then i go home, book up my hd screen and my macbook pro and sign... then I curse... what this company... "Planar."
    I've never even heard of planar monitors.

Suffice it to say, he's a handsome young man who can wear purple with dignity and charm.:D Yes, the pics look purple.
    edited July 24, 2008
    Work monitor, I come to work and look at my galleries and go "Oh heck no! I didn't notice all this pixellating! Those artifacts! Yellow?? Who put yellow there!" and then i go home, book up my hd screen and my macbook pro and sign... then I curse... what this company... "Planar."
    I've never even heard of planar monitors.

Suffice it to say, he's a handsome young man who can wear purple with dignity and charm.:D Yes, the pics look purple.

I am sure that "Planar" is a top of the line gee whiz monitor. I know ALL companies go all out with workstations. We have Dells at work...running a pentium 3 processor with a whopping 512 megs of RAM. They are real screamers. I smoked two last year using PSCS2. And the monitors are so dark that it is impossible to view ANY photograph. Text looks great though. Black on grey in Word!
    edited July 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Black on grey in Word!
    Oh wow... when was the last time I heard things measured in megs.... 5- 10 years ago?? I remember when a gig was unfathomable and now we have the terrabyte.
    I have the grey problem too, so I changed all my "transitional" and "transparent" bgs like word and excel to baby pink. All my websites look super fruity and bright. :D:D
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    These are just stunning, Jeff! I think my favorite is the first one. His eyes are just so bassett-houndish....he just pulls you right in! And the lighting is just spectacular. Bright, detailed eyes and the rest of the frame soft and dark. Nice use of vignette and monotone in all.

Only nit (you would be disappointed without at least one, yes?) would be the diaper....these are so "timeless" in look and feel that the print on the diapers detracts. I don't shoot babies enough but I know a lot of photogs use either cloth diapers or diaper covers in sessions to camouflage. Just a tiny suggestion.

He is one gorgeous dude!!! You should be so proud!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Awesome shots Jeff. I LOVE the light.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    LOVE your shots! Baby photography is challenging but you captured a wonderful mood and have done a good job processing them. I laughed when I read your comments about the multi-colored setup with planned monochrome conversions - you'd never know and it worked out quite well.

#1 and #4 are my favorites - I love the eyes in #1 and baby feet are always cute.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
    edited July 25, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    These are just stunning, Jeff! I think my favorite is the first one. His eyes are just so bassett-houndish....he just pulls you right in! And the lighting is just spectacular. Bright, detailed eyes and the rest of the frame soft and dark. Nice use of vignette and monotone in all.

Only nit (you would be disappointed without at least one, yes?) would be the diaper....these are so "timeless" in look and feel that the print on the diapers detracts. I don't shoot babies enough but I know a lot of photogs use either cloth diapers or diaper covers in sessions to camouflage. Just a tiny suggestion.

He is one gorgeous dude!!! You should be so proud!

I agree on the diaper. When we first talked about doing these she asked me how he should be dressed. What outfit? I told her forget an outfit and find a cloth diaper. Unfortunately she didn't have one to fit him. The cover is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. Ill add that to my list for next time.

This went super smoothly...to my surprise! Thanks for the comments.
    edited July 25, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Awesome shots Jeff. I LOVE the light.

Thanks David.
    edited July 25, 2008
    CSwinton wrote:
    LOVE your shots! Baby photography is challenging but you captured a wonderful mood and have done a good job processing them. I laughed when I read your comments about the multi-colored setup with planned monochrome conversions - you'd never know and it worked out quite well.

#1 and #4 are my favorites - I love the eyes in #1 and baby feet are always cute.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif

Thanks for looking, and taking the time to comment....I appreciate that.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Jeff, these are great. I love the lighting and post processing.
  • VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Jeff, great pics. #3 is my fav.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
    edited July 25, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Jeff, these are great. I love the lighting and post processing.

Thanks Cat!

I am working on a lighting drawing from this shoot that I will post.