I'm Freaking out!

2»

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    At the weddings, how many of you use flash? Does it every distract people? And do you click a lot? I am afraid of taking to many pictures and people getting mad b/c i have the flash going off so much.
    I use flash during the wedding ceremony only during the processional and the recessional - then only because it's usually dark enough that there is no way to get a shutter speed better than 1/30. And, 1/30 just leads to a lot of subject motion blur - even at the pace that most processionals make.

However, during the ceremony itself, I have used flash only on my first wedding (and I shouldn't have done it then - but we all learn from our mistakes). I believe you are on the right track to question the use of flash during the ceremony. But, not becuase it might PO the guests. But, because using flash will draw attention to the photographer and away from the ceremony and, at the same time, detract from the sacred-ness of that ceremony.

Additionally, the officiant my prohibit flash photography during the ceremony (for the reasons stated above). Each officiant is different and they tend to enforce different sets of "house rules" so you need to talk to the officiant at each wedding. I usually introduce myself to the officiant at the rehearsal and ASK him/her about his/her rules before they have a chance to bring it up. Many officiants have a very dim view of photography in the church and an even dimmer view of wedding photographers 'cause so many of them are (or have been) very obnoxious during the ceremony.

Failure to abide by the officiant's rules can get you blacklisted at that church and that can/will directly impact on your ability to get work (when you have to tell your prospective clients that you aren't allowed to photograph in their selected church - there goes the sale).

Being proactive in this goes a long way to getting on the officiant's "right side." After my last wedding, while I was waiting for the receiving line to disband, I approached the officiant and asked him if he was pleased with the way I comported myself - he ended up asking me for a couple of my cards.clap.gif

Anyway, the usual restricting on flash photography is the reason for needing and getting fast lenes. I've usually been successful with f/2.8. One time I had to shoot at ISO 1600 to do it, but noise reduction software is a wonderclap.gif. In that one instance, if I had it to do over again, I think I would have used a couple of primes for the extra stop or so - would have made a huge difference.

However, at the reception all bets are off because the reception usually gets quite dark. They are usually in the evening, and they usually turn the lights way down low - I guess most people don't like to dance when others can easily see them ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif Anyway, I either use on-camera flash (if I must, and I did for part of the reception at my last wedding) or I cross-light the reception hall with PocketWizard triggered strobes.
  • KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I use flash during the wedding ceremony only during the processional and the recessional - then only because it's usually dark enough that there is no way to get a shutter speed better than 1/30. And, 1/30 just leads to a lot of subject motion blur - even at the pace that most processionals make.

However, during the ceremony itself, I have used flash only on my first wedding (and I shouldn't have done it then - but we all learn from our mistakes). I believe you are on the right track to question the use of flash during the ceremony. But, not becuase it might PO the guests. But, because using flash will draw attention to the photographer and away from the ceremony and, at the same time, detract from the sacred-ness of that ceremony.

Additionally, the officiant my prohibit flash photography during the ceremony (for the reasons stated above). Each officiant is different and they tend to enforce different sets of "house rules" so you need to talk to the officiant at each wedding. I usually introduce myself to the officiant at the rehearsal and ASK him/her about his/her rules before they have a chance to bring it up. Many officiants have a very dim view of photography in the church and an even dimmer view of wedding photographers 'cause so many of them are (or have been) very obnoxious during the ceremony.

Failure to abide by the officiant's rules can get you blacklisted at that church and that can/will directly impact on your ability to get work (when you have to tell your prospective clients that you aren't allowed to photograph in their selected church - there goes the sale).

Being proactive in this goes a long way to getting on the officiant's "right side." After my last wedding, while I was waiting for the receiving line to disband, I approached the officiant and asked him if he was pleased with the way I comported myself - he ended up asking me for a couple of my cards.clap.gif

Anyway, the usual restricting on flash photography is the reason for needing and getting fast lenes. I've usually been successful with f/2.8. One time I had to shoot at ISO 1600 to do it, but noise reduction software is a wonderclap.gif. In that one instance, if I had it to do over again, I think I would have used a couple of primes for the extra stop or so - would have made a huge difference.

However, at the reception all bets are off because the reception usually gets quite dark. They are usually in the evening, and they usually turn the lights way down low - I guess most people don't like to dance when others can easily see them ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif Anyway, I either use on-camera flash (if I must, and I did for part of the reception at my last wedding) or I cross-light the reception hall with PocketWizard triggered strobes.

What is your usual shutter speed during the ceremony? Do you use a tripod? Thank you so much for the help you have already given me!
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Katie,
    I was reading this last night and thought it applied to your situation. There is lots of good info there...Follow the links as well....

http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/3-dragging-the-shutter/
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    What is your usual shutter speed during the ceremony? Do you use a tripod? Thank you so much for the help you have already given me!
    Shutter speed - as fast as I can get but I like to have at least 1/30. Anything slower than that is really dicy. I try to keep ISO below 800 and aperture f/3.5 or smaller. All of the above is subject to change.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    The problem is that you are shooting in the open sun. Anything that is
    white like the dress will blow out unless you stop down considerably.
    But if you do that you'll need to put more flash into the shaded areas
    like the face to get a proper exposure there. The effect is usualy not
    very pleasing, especialy because everything in the background will
    be sharp and possibly distracting (like the wall in your 1st shot).

I didn't read all the comments above but I am shure someone has
    suggested to shoot at a different spot. My recommendation would
    be to shoot under a tree (or some other kind of light diffusing roof)
    which reduces the contrast of the scene and gives you much much
    better light (the light reflected of the ground will act as a fill light too).

You could also improve your flashlight by putting a softbox or diffusor
    (like a so called Lightsphere) on it. This would take away the needle
    point catchlight in the eyes that you got in one of the closer pictures.

Good luck and remember to have fun at your shoots thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston