Devil's Horse!?! (dragonfly) (ID please)

PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in Holy Macro
This is my first post here... I am by all means not a Macro shooter.

But I was "out in the woods" today, during a Srs portrait session and I could not help notice this "little" 'devil's horse' (my country's name for dragonfly... which suits this one).

Either way, this thing was HUGE! :huh I did not have a flash (shot in natural light), and with my canon 28-135 lens... so the results are not at pair with some of the wonderful works of people here... but if you do not mind, please ID this for me?

It was about 6 inches in wingspan, and maybe 5 inches long. Black and yellow (nature's way of saying "I am dangerous"?) and it kept curling its tail up and tapping the ground?... here is the best I could do :dunno

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

So, can you tell me what it is? is it dangerous (black and yellow)? and have you seen something this big?! :huh
Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Good find- I'd guess it might be injured- dragonflies don't normally like being on the ground.
    Can only say it looks like a species of Hawker dragonfly.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    This is my first post here... I am by all means not a Macro shooter.

But I was "out in the woods" today, during a Srs portrait session and I could not help notice this "little" 'devil's horse' (my country's name for dragonfly... which suits this one).

Either way, this thing was HUGE! eek7.gif I did not have a flash (shot in natural light), and with my canon 28-135 lens... so the results are not at pair with some of the wonderful works of people here... but if you do not mind, please ID this for me?

It was about 6 inches in wingspan, and maybe 5 inches long. Black and yellow (nature's way of saying "I am dangerous"?) and it kept curling its tail up and tapping the ground?... here is the best I could do ne_nau.gif

So, can you tell me what it is? is it dangerous (black and yellow)? and have you seen something this big?! eek7.gif

Sorry I'm not able to check my book for you.
    What a find, that is quite a wing span, on the Dragonfly.

This Dragonfly has rather interesting eyes.
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Beautiful coloring on the dragonfly.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker