First-time HDR

VicTorcVicTorc Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited July 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I don't have photoshop, I used picnik, but this is my first attempt at HDR. I didn't want to over-do it but please tell me what you think. Brand new hat by the way.

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    HDR really sings when formatting landscape shots (clouds, sunrises, sunsets, and other high-contrast situations). This, to me...and only my opinion, appears like an over-saturated image would, but that may be my lack of knowledge when applying HDR to "still-life". What's the weird red "halo" around the hat? ne_nau.gif
  • VicTorcVicTorc Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Honestly, I agree 100%, but it was too dark outside to take any good pictures, so I tried on this. And also, I was wondering what the brown-ness was also.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 25, 2008
    VicTorc wrote:
    I don't have photoshop, I used picnik, but this is my first attempt at HDR. I didn't want to over-do it but please tell me what you think. Brand new hat by the way.

I assume that you chose the hat as a subject simply because it was at hand and you just wanted to try the technique, not because you thought a picture of a hat was cool. :D

OK, technically, I don't see much wrong with this shot, but I also don't think it is a good candidate for an HDR treatment. As Idlewild suggested, sunrise, sunset or other situations where there is a wide range of brightness and interesting detail in both the bright and dark areas make better subjects for HDR. But keep at it, HDR is a useful tool.

Regards,