Lensbaby First Try

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Alright, after a couple months, I finally got out with my Lensbaby 2.0. I also had a 37mm CPL filter on it.

What do you think?

338337126_oeYs9-L.jpg

338336778_US3Xf-L.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Hmm. I'm thinking either these are really really horrible or nobody likes lensbaby shots. ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Hmm. I'm thinking either these are really really horrible or nobody likes lensbaby shots. ne_nau.gif

No images are showing for me, actually. headscratch.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I think it's because all we can see are the infamous Red X's.
    edited August 19, 2008
    Oh no! Fixed it! Thank you both for posting that, I didn't know ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
    edited August 19, 2008
    There they are. thumb.gif I like the effect on the the first one, though the subject feels a bit too centered. Never would have thought to use a Lensbaby for photographing birds! Interesting application.
    edited August 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    There they are. thumb.gif I like the effect on the the first one, though the subject feels a bit too centered. Never would have thought to use a Lensbaby for photographing birds! Interesting application.

Thanks!

Yeah, like the title says it was my first try and not so good at getting non-centered lensbaby stuff to be in focus. Still not sure why the image I capture is not the same as the image I see in the viewfinder (probably because of moving my hand a little when I press the shutter button).
    ~ Lisa
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

Lensbabies aren't sharp anywhere but the very middle... unless you shift it I guess.

I've considered one for ages, but I'm sort of leaning toward a center spot diffuser.

I do kinda like these photos though, using a lensbaby on birds is a first :D
    The first one is really nice. The radial effect is attenuated enough not be distracting and the softness does work here. I like the pose the bird gave here too thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I'm always glad to see people try new tools and ideas....I don't do enough of that myself. If these are representative of what one can expect from using a Lensbaby, I don't think I'm going to be a big fan of that process. There's too much OOF for my taste. I'll be interested to see what you produce as your skills with this thing increase. Good luck.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 19, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Lensbabies aren't sharp anywhere but the very middle... unless you shift it I guess.

I thought it could be shifted as I vaguely remember the little tutorial videos on their site. I'm sure it takes some practice. And starting with moving targets likely makes it much harder. mwink.gif
    edited August 19, 2008
    I'm always glad to see people try new tools and ideas....I don't do enough of that myself. If these are representative of what one can expect from using a Lensbaby, I don't think I'm going to be a big fan of that process. There's too much OOF for my taste. I'll be interested to see what you produce as your skills with this thing increase. Good luck.

Tom

As far as I understand it, there is only a small area that will ever be in focus with the Lensbaby. I've heard of some people trying to do stacked focus for more area, but haven't seen any images from that. I don't think that would work with the 2g though, there is no way to lock off the focus.
    ~ Lisa
    edited August 19, 2008
    thanks for the comments Pyry. I agree with Llywellyn, I think that there is a small amount in focus but that little circle can be moved around. For instance, my duck photo is "in focus" on the duck face but that is not in the exact center. Though I think I may have cropped that, I'll check when I get home.

It is a LOT of work to use a lensbaby 2G, i think that the 3G is better because you can lock off the focus tube.

I decided to go to the park and shoot birds/ducks because I thought it would be more interesting then the landscapes, buildings, cars, and flowers that everyone else seems to shoot.

I have since purchased the macro filter kit but no chance to get out and try that out yet. :D
    ~ Lisa