Options

Keywords, non-ascii chars and auto-remap

OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited August 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I just noted something interesting, I know that SmugMug doesn't support non-ascii chars in various places (which is a problem) but it seem like there is some kind of auto-remapping going on.

When I upload images that has letters like "å" in the keywords they seem to get remapped to "a" but if I open the keywords to edit it still listed as "å". An example: if one of the keywords is "nyår" on my computer, then it's listed as "nyar" when I look at the smugmug pages ... but when I open the keyword field it's still "nyår". :clap

Unfortunately, if I add a new keyword at the smugmug pages with an "å" in it, they "å" is removed from the keyword. :dunno

Is there some way I can get be the "upload behavior" to work everywhere?

I think it would be really nice if SmugMug did this remapping everywhere (keywords, categories, sub-categories) this way I don't have to "dumb down" the information ... and if SmugMug sometime in the future will support non-ascii characters I wouldn't have to re-enter all categories, sub-categories and keywords.
--
Jan Erik Moström

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Hi,

Could you point us to an example on where you've seen this auto remapping? I just tried it with "nyår" as an IPTC keyword, but after uploading it it shows as nyr. The keyword field still contains the nyår and I even can add nyår manually, but the character will be left out.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Hi,

Could you point us to an example on where you've seen this auto remapping? I just tried it with "nyår" as an IPTC keyword, but after uploading it it shows as nyr. The keyword field still contains the nyår and I even can add nyår manually, but the character will be left out.

Sebastian

Sorry but those albums are family only. I have the same problem, I can add keywords with an 'å' in them but they are stripped when the keywords are displayed. I looked at the photos with "nyår" again and this time the keywords in edit mode are displayed as "nya?r" (unicode??) but that's probably because I edited (removed) some existing keywords and saved them. I've looked at some other photos (also family photos) where I haven't edited the keywords and there the original characters can be see, if I edit the keywords on those pages (removing some other keyword), save, close my browser window, re-open and look at the keywords the 'å' is displayed as 'a?' (similar for other non-ascii chars).
    --
    Jan Erik Moström