Possible Ebay Scam??

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited July 27, 2008 in Flea Market
anyone else think something is fishy here??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-70-200mm-f-2-8-G-ED-IF-AF-S-VR-Lens-Nikkor_W0QQitemZ260266857541QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260266857541&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-70-200mm-f-2-8-G-ED-IF-AF-S-VR-Lens-Nikkor_W0QQitemZ260267026345QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260267026345&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

2 different sellers. basically same listings. first seller has 3 identical listings. second seller has 5 identical listings. all 8 listings have the same serial number in pic 4.

What is anyone else's take on this. I mean really great price, but common, something is terribly bad, right!

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    It appears the second listing has been removed form eBay though the first is still there.

Seems whatever was happening has been caught out!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Anthony8858Anthony8858 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    It appears the second listing has been removed form eBay though the first is still there.

Seems whatever was happening has been caught out!

Don

Not really sure if it did resolve itself.

One of the "sellers" sold a Nikon 70-200VR, and still has the listing up three more times.

Take a look as his other items for sale.
  • fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Scammers and sometimes bulk sellers will take other peoples pictures. I usually mark my pictures. I never buy from anyone that does not have fairly old account and 100% positive feedback.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    NO paypal = bad idea, red flag..etc etc etc
    For me to see an auction that states I no longer accept paypal is a problem, especially from and auction....don't care if it is ebay, or another auction.....when purchasing online I want all the protection I can get and PayPal has given me a lot help in the past?
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    For me to see an auction that states I no longer accept paypal is a problem, especially from and auction....don't care if it is ebay, or another auction.....when purchasing online I want all the protection I can get and PayPal has given me a lot help in the past?

I agree with you Art... paypal doesn't usually cause problems, bad sellers cause problems. I don't do any online deals unless it goes through a third party like paypal.

Asking for a picture of the actual item for sale with a piece of paper next to it with a 'code word' that you make up is a good way to verify they at least have the object they are selling. Just ask for them to write a word like "watermelon" and their ebay seller name on a sticky note and take a picture with the item for you to see. They shouldn't have too much of a problem with doing that as it would only take a minute or two. If they say they don't have time or a camera you probably don't want to buy from them.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB