Options

Iridium Flare

aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
edited April 21, 2005 in Holy Macro
Ok, an explanation is needed here....

The old Iridium communication satellites are still around...and they produce some cool sights every once in a while. There are approx 78 iridium satellites in orbit, and each one has two very reflective solar panels. When the sun hits one at just the right angle shortly after sunset, a very bright "flare" appears in the sky for about 5-10 seconds. It looks like a very bright, slow shooting star. There are a few programs out there that predict when a flare will occur in your area. There was one here tonight, so I tried capturing a picture of it:

20157708-L.jpg

The picture definitely doesn't do it justice. The squiggle on the left part of the flare was because I grabbed the camera trigger instead of my remote trigger release since I was so startled by it....doh! I'll have to try and shoot one again next time...

See these links for more info:
http://satobs.org/iridium.html
http://www.assa.org.au/observing/iridium/

I have always found astronomy photography challenging...:scratch

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I watch them all the time A-N...i go to heavans above & select my possie from the data base.

It give heaps on sats/hubble etc. Who built it/when....why...how far away is it & what it looks like. great hobby for the weird :uhoh They will sometimes tell you when its expected to crash.

Good catch btw thumb.gif
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I watch them all the time A-N...i go to heavans above & select my possie from the data base.

It give heaps on sats/hubble etc. Who built it/when....why...how far away is it & what it looks like. great hobby for the weird :uhoh They will sometimes tell you when its expected to crash.

Good catch btw thumb.gif
    Thanks. Yup. A friend pointed out Heavens Above to me yesterday. I enjoy being weird. :):