Options

Help! NEC monitor and Eye-One Display 2

zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited August 2, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Okay all you :bow monitor experts, I need your help now that I've upgraded my monitor. I finally got the NEC MultiSync LCD2470WXN and the Eye-One Display 2.

I need help in calibrating this monitor. My question is does the monitor need to have a particular setting before calibration i.e. native white point, contrast and brightness settings, etc. This monitor has it's own adjustments and it also has a DV mode option - standard, movie, photo, text, gaming. Which one should I use before calibration?

(I have a 15" MacBook Pro w/OS X 10.5.4 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

I'd appreciate any help :D
Zoe
"Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I missed this thread earlier so I posted in urbanaries' thread.

Make sure to download the latest version (3.6.2) of Eye-One Match 3. When calibrating, select the Advanced option and follow the instructions on the right side of the screen. You'll need to adjust the brightness, contrast, and color settings (RGB) of your LCD during the calibration so don't worry about what settings to begin with.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Thanks Cuong! But I think that my monitor just died! I was working on it last night and all of a sudden, blackout! The power button is on, but I have nothing on the screen. Tried changing cables, etc. but still nothing. I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro with the latest OS X. Is there some kind of compatibility issue?

Sucks that this had to happen on the weekend since customer support at NEC is closed for the weekend. I've sent an email so I'm hoping that NEC's reputation for good customer service holds up.
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Even when there's no signal input from your PC or laptop, you should still be able to bring up the display adjustment menu aka on-screen display (OSD) using the buttons on the panel. If you don't even see that menu, then it's time to exchange for another one from where you bought it. Good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Even when there's no signal input from your PC or laptop, you should still be able to bring up the display adjustment menu aka on-screen display (OSD) using the buttons on the panel. If you don't even see that menu, then it's time to exchange for another one from where you bought it. Good luck.

Cuong

I bought the monitor online and emailed them this morning. Nothing comes up on the screen even when pressing the buttons on the panel. So it looks like I've got a dead monitor. I'll be sending it back on Monday.

• Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    zoeblue wrote:
    I bought the monitor online and emailed them this morning. Nothing comes up on the screen even when pressing the buttons on the panel. So it looks like I've got a dead monitor. I'll be sending it back on Monday.

I'm thinking your CCFL backlight has died.

With the monitor attached to a PC/Mac that is running and with something on the screen, take a bright flashlight and shine it at various angles close to the panel. You should be able to see a "shadow" of the image being displayed if this is all that is wrong.

This is something that they should replace under warranty or exchange if within the allowable days after purchase per consumer protection laws. Different countries, different states/provinces - varying days allowable.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Newsy wrote:
    I'm thinking your CCFL backlight has died.

With the monitor attached to a PC/Mac that is running and with something on the screen, take a bright flashlight and shine it at various angles close to the panel. You should be able to see a "shadow" of the image being displayed if this is all that is wrong.

This is something that they should replace under warranty or exchange if within the allowable days after purchase per consumer protection laws. Different countries, different states/provinces - varying days allowable.

I sent it back to the company I ordered it from and they are sending me a replacement. Hopefully I'll get the new one this week.