How much would you carry?

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in Cameras
I am on foot usually, leaving my house (and photo stuff) from morning until its time for bed.

During the day, I use my Sigma 18-200 zoom, and Sigma 10-20. Sometimes I break out my 50 1.4 for those shots that benefit from a shallow DOF. I'd rather carry the 30 1.4, but its back in the shop for service.

This is rather heavy. I've got a 70-200 2.8 that I'd like to lug around but its too damn heavy. I'd like to also carry some extra reach, either in the form of a TC for the Nikon 70-200 or else a Sigma 150-500. Of course, the weight factor comes in again. I could of course put a TC on the 18-200 but the aperture values would be so small that it would loose the AF I bet and be impossibly slow.

At night time, I use the Nikon 50 1.4 (I'd like to have my Sigma 30 1.4 back) and I would of course like to have the Nikon 70-200. I usually want to shoot things like dancers or other moving subjects. If I can, I'll leave everything else behind since they are too slow for night time.

I could of course switch to a photo backpack, but its really hot right now.

What would you carry? (1 body) The Primes and the Nikon zoom and wide angle? Some other set up?

Comments

• PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    It is hard to say what and how much I carry. It is totally depends on the project.
    Like this morning, I drove to the wetland park and planned to spend few hours there for some wildlife photo. I carried the 5D body, 24-105 for general purpose. 17-40 F4 for landscape and sunrise, the 70-200 F2.8 IS with 2XTC, have a 100mm F2.8 marco for insects. 2 Flash gun and a reflector. A Slik 340 tripod. All packed on the Lowepro AW backpack and walk comfortablly.

For street photo, I usually just bring the 17-40 and 70 -200 on my should bag. Hang the camera with 24-105 for all purpose. Keep the 580EXII on my hip.

For wedding projects, everything will be on the vest and belt but just a few hours.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I'm thinking I'll add a 2X teleconverter as well. I think it would be the best option for a bit extra reach, and I won't have to choose some other lens over the Nikon monster. Makes more sens Financially too I think.

Thanks for the reply.