Confused Now...Which One? Any thoughts

TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Current Entry:
338933741_xg6jz-M.jpg

But I like this one too!!
339100257_jXEgA-M.jpg

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions??
You're only as good as your next photo....
One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Hi Donna, I like the second one much better... I think the filtering goes with the image... where as in the first one I don't know why you used that filter?
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    #2, hands down! thumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I think you're onto something with the second shot, but it doesn't really look filtered to me. It's more a couple of gelled hot lights and a nice backdrop.

Could use a bit more not-overboard work thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I like the 2nd one, but I think you're in to close.
    I think the top of his head should be in the frame, as well as most if not all of the guitar with the right hand.
    The guitar neck would give it that perfect diagonal line though the shot.

Or maybe move him closer to the left side, leave the right hand out, but include the full neck.

Just my thoughts.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 27, 2008
    2 is better! I can tell you layered him onto that background. Nice work on that....but you need to crop the bottom edge or line his layer down some to keep the edge consistant. There is a slight outline around him which is residue from the dark background he was on before you removed it. If you remove that tab bit (yes its tedious) of previous background then soften the edges just the slightest bit...it might be more convincing. If I am wrong in seeing this and he is not layered on...then please forgive my boldness.ne_nau.gif

I agree that the guitar should be full in the shot.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    where as in the first one I don't know why you used that filter?

In this photo the following filters were used as I wanted to create a painting/sketch, but one thing I wanted was to maintain enough detail, so I incorporated the use of Action and Texture Filters, such as:
    Fractulius, Hard and Soft Crayon, Colored and Charcoal Smudge with sketch, Glam Blur, and Burn't Edge.

As stated by Emily....Anything goes whether in camera or in PPW...and in my minds eye...this was an opportunity to bring out Creativity, which in a lot of the challenges we are not alloted that opportunity.

Thanks much for your comments, I am appreciative that you took the time.

Donna
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited July 27, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    2. There is a slight outline around him which is residue from the dark background he was on before you removed it. If you remove that tab bit (yes its tedious) of previous background then soften the edges just the slightest bit...it might be more convincing. If I am wrong in seeing this and he is not layered on...then please forgive my boldness.ne_nau.gif

I agree that the guitar should be full in the shot.

Thank you, I will try to clarify as to the WHY I left the slight background around the subject.

I once had a conversation with a Pro both in Graphics and Photography and it was made clear that the one thing that bothered these pro's was that TOO many people when creating composites...They would do this and forget to leave a bit of shadow to their subject, thus making the subject look like a "cut and paste", and that this was one of the biggest Pet Peaves they had.

They instructed me to always remember to leave at least a soft outline, so that the subject looked natural, as this created a bit of "shadow" BUT to remember to make sure that the outline followed the entrance of light on the subject which is why you don't see the outline on the entire subject but strategically left on certain areas as the light on this photos comes in from the left.

As for the filters used, it was the creation of the backdrop from the extrude, liquify, guassian blur, selective shadowing, gradient and selective coloring, edge sharpening, pattern textures.

I hope, I have answered some of your questions??

As for the crop, I do agree that I could bring it up a tad which would help with the diagonal line of the neck of the bass guitar. The whole guitar is not necessary as the line of the neck brings the viewers eye down and gives them the illusion of vision that the rest of the guitar is there.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment on my photo....but I'm still confused eek7.gif ....So as other people have always stated...Go with your first thought...:D ...Guess I'll stay with my current entry....headscratch.gif

Peace and Best Wishes
    Donna
    edited July 27, 2008
    Big Thanks to ALL who commented and expressed their thoughts...I am appreciative. Discussion is always good!!

Best Wishes and Good Luck to all in the Filters Challenge.

Peace
    Donna