Options

Help Needed With Mac & Monitor Cal. I'm lost!

tuggnettuggnet Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I need some help big time! I'm a long time PC user (since about 1984) and I have recently migrated to a Mac Book Pro with a 24" Soyo monitor.

I used my Spyder 3 Elite to calibrate the LCD on my Mac Book and my external Soyo 24" monitor.

Today, I processed some senior portraits using Lightroom and Photoshop. Initially, I was very happy with the way the images turned out. Color looked good... everything looked pretty good.

First I looked at the images in Firefox. They didn't match my PS images. Colors looked too saturated.

Next I looked at the images in Safari. And if I thought the Firefox images looked bad, that was nothing compaired to the Safari images. The blues were purple the greens glowed neon almost :huh

The image I'm refering to is here

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Well, after almost a full day of googling it appears this is an issue with Mac OS 10.5.

The external monitor is using the internal LCD profile. The images always looked good on the internal LCD and now look good on the external monitor in Safari and Firefox.

Colors still look like crap in Preview.

According to my readings, Apple is aware of the issue (and have been for sometime now).

I'm about ready to sell this thing on ebay and go back to a PC

Cheers
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited August 6, 2008
    Its been a week. Able to get it to work any better? ear.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Yes. I did get it to work. Here's the issue. Mac OS 10.5 has a bug that will cause the internal LCD color profile to be applied to the external monitor.

The work around is to open the colorsync tool and explicitly tell it the external monitor is the default monitor. If the external monitor is already set as the default you need to re-set it.

This fixed the problem.

The problem was originally identified as an Aperture issue but people quickly realized it was a problem with the OS.

Apple has an open trouble ticked on this issue and has for the past 6 months.

Cheers!