Options

I am an idiot

MulletMullet Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 27, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have a domain name with godaddy but I host at webhosting buzz.com and can't for the life of me fidure out how to get my custom domain set up for my smugmug site. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    wave.gif welcome have you started with this page? http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Yes I did, but it didn't make sense to me. It has if you use godaddy nameservers, it has if you are registered at another domain registrar, but it doesn't cover godaddy and a different host. I went to the cpanel of my host and they have no tools in there that I see for Total DNS Control
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Nameservers would get setup at GoDaddy... Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why you have hosting through buzz. Your images are at SM... you want your domain to point to SM... what do you need hosting for? headscratch.gif
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Nick to the rescue, stay tuned
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Mullet wrote:
    Yes I did, but it didn't make sense to me. It has if you use godaddy nameservers, it has if you are registered at another domain registrar, but it doesn't cover godaddy and a different host. I went to the cpanel of my host and they have no tools in there that I see for Total DNS Control
    Hi Mullet :hi
    Mind if I ask why you are using a separate hosting site when you are storing your photos on SmugMug? It's not necessary unless you want a separate homepage that is not SmugMug. It is no problem if you want to do things this way, I just wanted to let you know that it is not necessary.

If you have your other hosted site set up to work with your main domain you can set up a subdomain for your SmugMug page. So if your hosted site is www.yourdomain.com you could set up your SmugMug page as www.photos.yourdomain.com where "photos" could be anything you'd like it to be. To do this just set up a CNAME with your subdomain pointed at domains.smugmug.com. You would set this up at GoDaddy, not your hosting company.

Post back here if you need further help deal.gif.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    First. let me thank everyone for their replies

I have had my hosting at webhostingbuzz for years now and have 4 or 5 domains hosted there. I only recently subscribed to smugmug. They had features orginally that godaddy didn't at the time and it has all been very smooth.

I can't be the first person who has hosting somewhere else
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Mullet wrote:
    First. let me thank everyone for their replies

I have had my hosting at webhostingbuzz for years now and have 4 or 5 domains hosted there. I only recently subscribed to smugmug. They had features orginally that godaddy didn't at the time and it has all been very smooth.

I can't be the first person who has hosting somewhere else
    You're not the first or last to have web space hosted somewhere else. We just wanted to make sure you knew you didn't need to have web space hosted somewhere else. There are plenty of people that only use SmugMug for their "gallery" section of their website.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto