Sainte Ségolène Church - Metz - France

TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited July 27, 2008 in Landscapes
What was supposed to be just a test shooting with new lens and (at last!) polarizing filter turned out to a quick session of the church where my brother gave an organ concert. So I could shoot from different places inside the church (which are usually closed to the common tourists)...

I then played with textures on some pictures until I got something interesting to me (I hope you'll find them interesting too)

C&C always welcome !

1. Beside the cathedral Metz counts a lot of beautiful churches all built in this yellowish typical stone.
337510981_mXCbR-L.jpg

2. Inside from a different angle
337507944_KNyXw-L.jpg

3. Inside form a more usual angle
337514653_bT8CF-L.jpg

4. Couldn't help but show you the organ itself... It rendered great during the concert making so much "noise" that the rock band musicians standing outside came in to see what it was about ! ^^ Notice the problem on the keyboard which was luckily solved before the show.
337506188_uVRRN-L.jpg
Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    2, 3, and 4 are Fantastic!! Love 'em! What treatment is it that you are giving these images, if you don't mind me asking?
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    These are really great I think... I especially like the last one; an up close and personal that is normally not seen in such a place. I'm thinking...Phantom of the Opera with these images but with a reverant feel!

Eia
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Beautiful images !!
    amazing feeling conveyed
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Thanks for the comments !
    Idlewild wrote:
    2, 3, and 4 are Fantastic!! Love 'em! What treatment is it that you are giving these images, if you don't mind me asking?

Basically I apply textures over the original image (sometimes a bit enhanced by an overlaid layer or two) using either overlay, multiply or color burnt fusion modes. Then I usually mask the parts of the pic that don't need to be textured (sometimes I apply another texture on these part...) On the #2. for example I masked the windows and the back chapel (just adjusted curves on these parts).

Furthermore I also play with dark inner glow (color burned mode) on several layers til I get something good to my eye. Since I'm always playing I wouldn't be able to get the same result twice ^^

I'm using free textures found here and there for now because I just don't get as good textures by myself... But I'm working on it !

Eia wrote:
    These are really great I think... I especially like the last one; an up close and personal that is normally not seen in such a place. I'm thinking...Phantom of the Opera with these images but with a reverant feel!

Eia

In France there's organs in churches only (unlike other countries like Germany). So all the organ concerts take place in churches... Great concert halls anyway if you don't claim for comfortable seats !:D

Here's a view of the full instrument : some churches have really impressive great organs.

339699696_HPNCr-M.jpg
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Nice compositions. I am a huge fan of architectural work.