Olga is selling doors ...

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited April 23, 2005 in People
As you understood, our apartment is under 'remont' - any other word will not be correct (in English:repair, maintenance...) so I met her in a shop ...
We have cold windy days here - so I made several b&w.
2118.jpg
2117.jpg
2115.jpg

Now I want to show color :

2119.jpg

and to her full height photo:
2120.jpg
Comment and critique, please...
Yuri

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Superb as usual Yuri. I don't care for theh transition from light to dark in the first one. The left side seems too soft for my taste.. The second one looks right out of a magazine.I really love it. Thnxs for sharing..
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    I'd buy a bunch of doors :-)
    to be able to shoot a beauty like her :jawdrop

Of course, my shots wouldn't do her justice like yours do thumb.gifthumb.gif

They are all really good clap.gif I agree about that 2nd one looking like it came right out of a magazine like Cosmo. All your post processing treatments work and I think this lady is going to be thrilled with what you captured.

Good stuff, as per normal, Yuri and thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Great as always Yuri. The second would make her proud in paper for shure !
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hi Yuri
    My sincere condolences about the "remont" thingie, god knows I know what it is (or what it used to be at least:-)

Back to the pictures:-)

I enjoyed them all, as always (esp. the last one:-)

But since you've asked for the critique..:-)

It seems to me that the b&w #1 is a bit flat/bland...
    I like #2 more, and #3 is the winner (even though I still think it need a bit more post proc work, too)

In any case - bring more of them!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yuri,

I love the first one, and I like the fact that you decided to go soft in the curves...but I do think you have a problem in the curves or conversion, and I think you need to put just a touch more punch back into it. The others are nice, but much too harsh on the contrast for the first pic, which looks nice, like I said, with soft contrast. I'd just give the conversion another go and see if you can retain the strengths of the shot and improve on the weaknesses (real specific, eh?)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    beautiful work!

for some reason, the 2nd picture makes me think of abercrombie and fitch ads and catalogs.
  • KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Beautiful yet again Yuri. Love the work. Would you mind showing some 'before and after' this time as well? I love seeing what you do to make them even better. Again Bravo!
    Kagan
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yuri how do you get all these beautifull women to pose for you. Whenever I want to approach someone in public who looks like this and ask them to take their picture like this I stop after I get the mental image of them either smaking me or their bf who is twice my size breaking my hands. ne_nau.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • dy1119dy1119 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2005
    Great shts, Uri, especially # 1 & 3 clap.gif . I don't care what she sells - I buy!

Dror
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    yuri, put me on the list of buyers too clap.gif simply beautiful, the second shot is stunning... great job in post as well thumb.gif the first one might benefit from some curves or the like... imo that one lacks just a little bit of "yuri" for my taste, lol.

excellent as always!
    sascha
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Yuri - ugh, I know what you mean. My house has been in and out of remodeling for the past year. Good luck to you on that one.

#2 is the clear winner for my taste on 2 different levels - it shows a sweetness that I'm a sucker for and photographically I think it's the best. I like it a lot.

#1 - soft is good, but this looks pretty flat to me. I like the expression, eyes, and crop

#3 - good, but for a reason I can't quite explain her expression doesn't really draw me in - she almost looks like she needs more sleep.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice & far better than I could do - just sharing my point of view.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    thumb.gif #2. thumb.gif Wow you really captured her with that one.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Kagan wrote:
    Beautiful yet again Yuri. Love the work. Would you mind showing some 'before and after' this time as well? I love seeing what you do to make them even better. Again Bravo!

Here they are:
    Original

2121.jpg

and after postprocessing

2122.jpg
    This is my today's try.
    What I did:
    - cropped
    - cleaned the face with Health brush.
    - unsharp mask 98/0.4/0 for eyes
    - Image->Adjustment-> Shadows highlight
    Amount 50
    Tonal 40
    Radius 30

0/50/30

color correction -25
    midtone 3

Duplicate layer

Filter Optikvervelabs Charachter with 'my' parameters

Duplicate layer - Harry's method with multiply blending mode

Hope this will help you
    Yuri
  • UmbroUmbro Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    #2 for me , very dusky maiden. Great shot
    I like the look of #1 but would like to see a bit of shadow/highlight in PS perhaps?
    Pretty new here so i've not had a chance to see much of your work, but hope to see much more thumb.gif
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    hi Yuri! *hugs*

I have to agree with whoever said #2 looks like it would belong in a magazine. WOW. thumb.gif