cute couple - window light

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited July 28, 2008 in People
We met up with some friends in Seattle last week, and we ate breakfast at a wonderful little crepe shop at Pike's Place Market (Crepe de France). It had an awesome window, so I quickly grabbed a few shots of them facing it. This was my favorite. Would you believe they have 6 kids, ranging in age from 11 to 2? :D

339999497_UJkrg-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Love the natural light...it fabulous! They look very much in love, don't they? Great job:D
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Another fabulously executed and natural looking portrait from Elaine. I absolutely love this one! You are doing some wonderful work with your new setup! wings.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Very nice shot.
    LadyTX
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Love the natural light...it fabulous! They look very much in love, don't they? Great job:D

Thanks, Julie! I think they were feeling especially good because they were about to board a cruise ship for Alaska...sans kiddos! :D
    Elaine

edited July 27, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Another fabulously executed and natural looking portrait from Elaine. I absolutely love this one! You are doing some wonderful work with your new setup! wings.gif
    Thank you so much, Lynne! You're my hero! :ivar
    Elaine

edited July 27, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Very nice shot.
    Thank you!
    Elaine

edited July 27, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Thank you so much, Lynne! You're my hero! :ivar

oh please! I've never done anything as sharp and evenly lit as these! bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 27, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    oh please! I've never done anything as sharp and evenly lit as these! bowdown.gif

Hah rolleyes1.gifHahahaharolleyes1.gifHahahahahahahrolleyes1.gif

OK...got that out of my system.

THANK YOU!

And I don't believe you for a second. :D
    Elaine

edited July 27, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Hah rolleyes1.gifHahahaharolleyes1.gifHahahahahahahrolleyes1.gif

OK...got that out of my system.

THANK YOU!

And I don't believe you for a second. :D

I'm serious! Especially with the closeup headshots, you and Jeff get such even skin tones and I have hot/shiny spots all day long. I'm in prime study mode....watching you two like a hawk. :cool
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited July 27, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I'm serious! Especially with the closeup headshots, you and Jeff get such even skin tones and I have hot/shiny spots all day long. I'm in prime study mode....watching you two like a hawk. :cool

Well, I do use that recovery tool in ACR, a lot! One thing I don't get is that sunny WB in camera is 5000 and daylight WB in ACR is 5500. Sometimes, I push my camera's histogram to the right so far (but not blown) that when I adjust the WB to daylight (or whatever seems best), I get more hot spots that need to be recovered. I make use of the exposure slider, if necessary, and the recovery slider, and that usually puts me where I need to be for a starting point for the rest of my edits. Don't know if that has anything to do with the even skin tones of which you speak. More than anything, I'm know I have many more shots where things don't work and only share a few here that do happen to work out!
    Elaine

• searching the soulsearching the soul Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    hope this is helpful
    I like this pose in general . My suggestion is that when women are in avery short sleeve outfit you will have to be careful that their arms don't become larger than they would like . Her arm pressing down flattens Her arm and it becomes larger .
    A slight raising of Her chin would also make Her eye direction much closer to that of Her husband's .
    edited July 28, 2008
    I like this pose in general . My suggestion is that when women are in avery short sleeve outfit you will have to be careful that their arms don't become larger than they would like . Her arm pressing down flattens Her arm and it becomes larger .
    A slight raising of Her chin would also make Her eye direction much closer to that of Her husband's .

Thank you! This was completely spur-of-the moment, so no thought went into the details with this one. I hear you about the arm thing, although I found it to be OK here...makes her look a bit buff! :D
    Elaine

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

What Jeff are you talking about?.....I just push the little button thingy on top of the camera and ......ne_nau.gif

Oh and ELAINE.....Very nice portrait. I like that it is not a stiff formal pose, and agree that the skin tones and light are rightious!:D
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    While I agree with everyone's enthusiastic opinions of this photo, I believe
    it has a very strong magenta cast that ruins it for me from a technical
    standpoint. It's extremely easy to fix, though.

EDIT: In another thread you didn't seem to mind people editing your images, so
    I took the liberty of illustrating.

BEFORE:

339999497_UJkrg-XL.jpg

AFTER:

p758783121.jpg
    edited July 28, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    What Jeff are you talking about?.....I just push the little button thingy on top of the camera and ......ne_nau.gif

Oh and ELAINE.....Very nice portrait. I like that it is not a stiff formal pose, and agree that the skin tones and light are rightious!:D

Thanks, Jeff! I could have stayed in that spot for a quite a while, using that window. It was great!
    Elaine

edited July 28, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    While I agree with everyone's enthusiastic opinions of this photo, I believe
    it has a very strong magenta cast that ruins it for me from a technical
    standpoint. It's extremely easy to fix, though.

EDIT: In another thread you didn't seem to mind people editing your images, so
    I took the liberty of illustrating.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Hmm...I think mine's a tad on the warm side, but I'm not seeing a strong magenta cast, and your version looks very washed out to me. headscratch.gif Maybe it's just a preference thing? Thanks for taking the time to show me what you saw!
    Elaine