Options

37 Snappy - critiques please

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited April 29, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I see patterns everywhere I look, but getting something that engages the viewer is a different matter altogether. Is it the subject or perhaps the manner of presentation? Hmmm.

20194045-L.jpg

20194043-L.jpg

20194047-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    One more!
    20771439-L.jpg
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Wow! I like #3 the best personally. The first two show patterns in the strainer, but not really across the entire picture. I love the color one you just posted as well, but I still want to say #3 does something for me :)

Great shots!
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    #1 and #3 are neck and neck with me, I think the are both great. Maybe throwing some different lighting on the strainer could add to the shots. Great patterns!thumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    Phil In NZPhil In NZ Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2005
    They are cool....
    I like the very last one.....but is it a strainer??
    Looks like one of those old collapsible camera flash gun things (sorry for not knowing what they're called!)
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I like #3. It seems less "cold" than the others.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I like the gold light/shine in the last one.

I am not sure you are thru, though. As they used to say about me, you do it, too, you just keep going, smile.

Nice you are here, I try to be at least once or twice a day. I have a couple of nature ideas, but I also have a tough weekend, so I don't know where my time is going except a seminar on Saturday. If I went to the seminar place at 8 AM instead of 9:30 when it actually starts, I could try to get the nature shots in some nice light. But I paid $150.00 for that one day seminar (can you imagine, I was embarrassed to tell a tennis/church friend that I couldn't afford it). Anyway, I hate to be too tired to get thru it, because of a gamble on the challenge. Then I have a baptism. Oh, life.........

I just got a 2 gb card. I am actually excited about that. I can put something in each forum in one day now. Then sleep the rest of the week. I really want to do some sports..........I have this bug (I just told Bill I wanted to go with him if he has a sports schedule)

Isn't this fun!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Thank you for the comments everyone...
    I'm sorry I had to be away all afternoon. I appreciate all of you looking and commenting. I'm surprised at the number that like #3. It's just a basket. The first two and the last one are an old vegetable steamer basket. It opens out as wide as the kettle or folds in smaller. Number 4 is a furnace filter. I did those up in b&w with a blue toning layer because metal is "cold". I wanted to emphasize the coldness. I did the basket in sepia to bring out the warmth.

Ginger, you may be right about my not being finished. I'm still looking for that "hook". None of these has that special something. I do like the color in the last one, it gives the steamer some character. But, honestly, I don't see it being easy to get that "something special" in this topic. I'm waiting for that defining moment.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Something special reminds me of the Madeline children's books. The little girl who goes to a school and stands in two straight lines. Something like that would be a grabber.

I won't have it, that is a guarantee.

ginger
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    #3 thumb.gif

I don't think you need the drop shadow around the image though.

However, the drop shadow really looks good on shot #2. It feels like the drop shadow fits the lighting on the subject.
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I like no. three the best as well, maybe casue I'm partial to natural things like wood or straw rather than hard metalic objects.:): I also like the simplicity of no.3.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 22, 2005
    Hi Snappy. Nice shots. I really like #4 because it makes me wonder what I'm looking at. I like #'s 1 & 2 also but the item is too recognizable; what if you did something more abstract? #3 is nice but I find the dark edge at the bottom distracting.
  • Options
    graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I like number 3. It is easy on the eyes. Interesting and warm.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 22, 2005
    Snappy,

I love #1 and #3, but probably lean more towards #3.

Nice work.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    #3 all the way on this one. The tone is perfect and the big open pattern feels very natural to the eye.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    I like #2 a lot and I also like the color version of it (very last one)

I know you well enough to know you're far from done! let me know when you post more. :D
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    I really like #3 the best.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    The Basket again...
    Since a lot of people liked No. 3, I decided to try another one. This one has warm color and no distracting dark shadow. I kind of like the pattern of the shadows in this one. I'm not sure about the area on the left that's out of focus. It's usually not possible to get the whole thing in focus, but what do you folks think?

20605185-L.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    20194045-L.jpg

this one's still my fave, I like the high contrast and the "elevation of a common object."

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    #1 is still my favorite. I like the contrast of it.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited April 28, 2005
    Haberdashery
    Any thoughts on this one?

Haberdashery
    20746869-L.jpg
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I like the last two you posted...
    The one with the strainer with golden reflections and your latest one with the red toned ties (?) is also nice. You're on the right track...keep on snappin'! ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    The one with the strainer with golden reflections and your latest one with the red toned ties (?) is also nice. You're on the right track...keep on snappin'! ~Nee :)
    Ok, I'm still snappin' :D

This one has squares and paisleys only. Thought I'd simplify the pattern.
    20753817-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    A Little Off Topic...
    Hi Snappy,

Wanted to let you know I returned the first XT and traded up to one with a 17-85mm IS USM lens instead. So far, I'm a happy camper! The new lens and camera combo are really nice. Thanks again for letting me sound off to you about my frustrations. I think I just had a "bad" lens...your latest pics (with the XT I presume?) look really nice and sharp and the exposures look very good, too.

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)

• Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Hi Snappy,

Wanted to let you know I returned the first XT and traded up to one with a 17-85mm IS USM lens instead. So far, I'm a happy camper! The new lens and camera combo are really nice. Thanks again for letting me sound off to you about my frustrations. I think I just had a "bad" lens...your latest pics (with the XT I presume?) look really nice and sharp and the exposures look very good, too.

Cheers!
    I'm glad you found the right set up. I read your post on another thread about that. Sounds really great. The only thing I wish is that I could have gotten a lighter lens. The f 3.5 really can't do what I want it to in some cases. The 17-85mm sounds great. I didn't know about that as an option for a package. I did get a 55-200mm for my trip next week. But, I'm already thinking I need the 75-300mm to really see anything. Oh well, I'll upgrade later, I suppose.

So back to the challenge....
    I like this shot, but I'm not sure if the repitition is strong enough for the challenge. I could do the stairs alone, but they are boring. No hook. Then I got this one of my daughters cat on the stairs. I was excited to get it. What do you think? Is it a challenge shot?

It's going to be the ties or the stairs I think. I have to stop now because I should be packing for my trip. I have so much to do.
    All comments appreciated, good, bad or indifferent.

On the Stairs
    20778658-L.jpg

Taken 4/28/05 Canon 350D Rebel XT
    1/8 sec., f/4.5, ISO 200, focal length 34mm, natural light
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    Snappy, I really like the cat. It is my favorite, Bill says there is a pattern, and there is, whether it is strong enough for this challenge, I don't know.

I just posted one with a pattern that I don't know about either. I went ahead and put it on the challenge, then started another thread.

I have spent way too much time on this challenge..........I have not taken any medication at all today, I feel fine so far as I was out shooting most of the afternoon. My body hurts all over, but I am not suffering from withdrawal, very hungry, though.

I really do like your cat, and I really do like my shot. Let me know what you think. I noticed that you posted the ties, I like the cat better, but then I didn't like my bikes that much and others did. And I liked my bridge and others didn't.

I am going to go eat, when do you leave again? Today? I am lost, Bill swears I told him to close the door, no memory of that and no reason to do it.

I have to eat. Try to get back to me, what computer are you working on.

ginger
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    I agree with Ginger!!!
    I really like this one with the cat on the stairs, too! I think it's the best by far. I like the idea of the pattern and repetition of the stairs being broken up by this cool cat with attitude who apparantly "owns" the place and doesn't seem at all ruffled by having his picture taken on "his" stairs, Laughing.gif!

Have fun on your trip! Sounds like you'll be pretty well set up with lenses to go with your new camera, too!

Cheers,

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I like this shot, but I'm not sure if the repitition is strong enough for the challenge. I could do the stairs alone, but they are boring. No hook. Then I got this one of my daughters cat on the stairs. I was excited to get it. What do you think? Is it a challenge shot?

It's going to be the ties or the stairs I think. I have to stop now because I should be packing for my trip. I have so much to do.
    Well you asked the wrong guy for comments if those are your final two! lol3.gif

I really enjoyed the flying saucer (vegetable steamer) photos. I'm a fan of simplicity, and I really think you nailed it with those. High controst really brought out the pattern and there was no distraction to take you away. Exposure was good, tack sharp. Sometimes first instinct is best... :D

Kitty on stairs is cool, but you said it yourself - pattern is weak, you woudln't have put a cute kitty there if you didn't think so, right?

Ties are too distracting for me as well. If there were all the same pattern just folded or laid on top of each other in different ways, then maybe. But I see too much busy patern, not enough repetition.

How's that for a wrench in your plans? lol3.gif

...submit one and enjoy your trip!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Thanks Erik. I knew I could count on you for an honest critique. Now what do I do? I think I'll just put them all up on the wall and throw a dart.:D

It's been fun, but I confused myself as usual. I'm a lot like Ginger in that respect, I think. I like the vegetable steamer for the same reasons you state. But, I think this challenge topic just lends itelf to sterile looking photos, boring repititions. Maybe simple is best, don't know.headscratch.gif

I do like the cat on the stairs. There is a pattern in the stairs, but it would be boring without the cat. I took one without her and it looks sterile. I tried a close up of the spindles too. Can't seem to make it look like anything interesting.

Eeenie, meenie, miney, mo.......which one shall it be?

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it muchly. mwink.gif
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    wow, where do I start
    well you're right about Erik.

I like the cat on the stairs, but it looks a bit superimposed (sharping halos?)

I'd go right back to the first strainer or the coloured strainer.
    I like the high contrast of the first and the colours of the second one.

snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Erik. I knew I could count on you for an honest critique.
    Eeenie, meenie, miney, mo.......which one shall it be?

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it muchly. mwink.gif
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    adrian_k wrote:
    well you're right about Erik.

I like the cat on the stairs, but it looks a bit superimposed (sharping halos?)

I'd go right back to the first strainer or the coloured strainer.
    I like the high contrast of the first and the colours of the second one.
    Thanks Adrian. I appreciate the input. I think I oversharpened the cat a bit. Then I used "selective color, black" to darken the shadows. That made the cat a bit muddy. I tried to lighten her with the mask, but it didn't do a good job.

I think you're right about the vegetable steamers. Simplicity! I also like the basket as did a few others. Except some people didn't like the shadows. I liked them. I thought it looked like it divided the background with the white taking the largest part, the light shadow a smaller part and the dark shadow the smallest part. (sort of rule of thirds). I thought the high contrast was very stark looking yet soft because of the sepia tone. Just goes to show you can't please everyone. Art is very subjective.rolleyes1.gif

After looking at all of these photos for so long, I find it very hard to be objective. I need a real serious critique. Everyone is just too "nice".:tiptoe
    Hey, if you hate it, say so. But, say why so I can understand. I really liked Erik's critique. I also appreciated Cletus' critique about the drop shadows. It was spot on, as a matter of fact. I could see it after he pointed it out. Sometimes I just get "too close to the forest to see the trees.":confused

Now, I'm really serious about throwing a dart. I'm sooooooooooo confused.
    I'm going to look at my Smugmug gallery and pretend I'm a complete stranger. :lol4