Lens Advice For Event Shooting

Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
edited July 28, 2008 in Cameras
i have the opportunity to shoot a multi-day corporate event in the near future and I am seeking advice re: the best wide-to-mid -range zoom lens to consider.
The events will be held in typical convention center-type banquet rooms. Other locations may include more intimate settings such as restaurants and tourist sites. Lots of small-group shots and individual shots. There will be some video so I expect the lighting to be pretty good, but am bringing a Metz 58-AF flash.
I will bring a Pentax DA* f2.8 50-135mm. I could also bring a DA f4 12-24mm, but I'm thinking that I may need more reach so I don't have to be in someone's dessert.
I'm considering a Pentax DA* f2.8 16-50mm, but this model has had some QA issues; alternatively I'm thinking about an older f4 16-45mm or a Sigma f2.8/3.5 17-70mm.
Or I could just bring a great 35mm lens and zoom with my feet.
I've shot plenty of sports, but events are a newer arena for me. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.

M

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 28, 2008
    For crop 1.5x/1.6x cameras and an indoor venue I really like, and therefore recommend, an f2.8 aperture in both a "standard" zoom and a tele-zoom.

I think your DA* f2.8 50-135mm will be fine for the tele-zoom.

Yes, I see those QC problems with the Pentax DA* 16-50mm, f2.8 but I still think that's your best overall option (if you have time to test and replace if necessary.)

Otherwise, I am a believer in the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF]. While I see an "occasional" problem with users and this lens, most people are very happy. B&H has them for the Pentax mount:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550721-REG/Tamron_AF016P_700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums