Tattoo Expo: DSM - NOT FOR THE SQUIMISH!

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited July 30, 2008 in People
The Tattoo Expo went on all weekend but I only went to one day with Mr. Lance Shuey. The vibe wasn't very photo happy so I mostly took pics of the suspension show. They were fun people and the show was really interesting. Here's a small slice of the pics:
Jason from Liquid Courage in Omaha, NE tattooing a butterfly full back piece on a girl name Heather.
339525004_8eQZQ-S-2.jpg
A full backpiece being done of UNDERWORLD: Evolutions:
339527779_FQXyu-M-2.jpg
A hook working itself loose from Biz's back:
339557261_cKL3T-M-1.jpg
My fav from the day: They had suspended fighting - Heather vs Shane [?]:
339561690_Joq3K-M-1.jpg

There were photojournalists there and i'm sure they have wayyyyy better pics than what I walked away with so if you're curious give it search. Thanks for looking and C+C is welcome.

If you're interested there's 6 pages of the Expo on my smugmug and there's a lot of great "crowd reaction" shots from all the cah-razy stuff these fine folk did at the show.

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Man that is some crazy stuff. I can't believe people hang from their skin to fight. Nut-so. I have never even heard of that before! I would not have lasted 1/2 of the day before they would have had to cart me out. You are pretty brave to be able to stick it out.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    ...not have lasted 1/2 of the day before they would have had to cart me out. You are pretty brave to be able to stick it out.
    Needles and fighting and bleeding doesn't get to me. I quite like getting tattooed and pierced because it doesn't hurt. Hanging from my skin would be something I wouldn't personally do but I can see the appeal and because your body releasing a spastic amount of happy drug when you do that. It's been explained as euphoria to me. They were a fun bunch. I'll have to try and find them somehow and maybe do some wicked circus portraits. Need a studio first but they would make really great subject matter and models. I find it all beautiful and I guess that's why I don't get nauseated.
    Thanks for looking and commenting. By the by, they did have a puke bucket. Thankfully no one yakked at this one.:D
    edited July 29, 2008
    Man that is some crazy stuff. I can't believe people hang from ...to stick it out.
    No suspensions in ALaska??
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Mr. Lance? That's what people at work call me.

I like the new watermark. It get's the job done nicely.

Good details and color, esp in the last one.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    I love the idea of someday shooting series of photographs and including the stories behind them from the people who wear them...
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    No suspensions in ALaska??

haha... They probably do. We have our counter culter people up here too. (trust me, Laughing.gif!) I just have never seen that particular activity before. I have plenty of friends with massive tats, but none that do the suspension thing. That I know of... maybe they are all closet suspenders. (Closet Suspenders makes me think of the kind that hold up your pants, lol!)

And it could be that I am with the crowd that has a bunch of gradeschool kids and enjoys a home cooked dinner every night with them and hangs out at the park with other moms that have similar aged children and do similar things. No time/ energy to play, and don't really want to have massive scars when I am a grandmother (in about 80 years).
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    :sick i saw show in Discovery Channel made me really sick for 2 days.But i saw only hanging with hooked skin now they have started to fight while hanging.

Great documentary photos will love to visit and shoot the place clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 29, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    I love the idea of someday shooting series of photographs and including the stories behind them from the people who wear them...
    That would be quite an undertaking. I think my friend Kelsey CLiche is doing just that sort of project if you want to look her up on myspace.com.
    edited July 29, 2008
    :sick i saw ...shoot the place clap.gif
    No one got sick. There was very little blood. It was really different to see people swinging and fighting.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    edited July 29, 2008
    As far as I could tell you don't get massive scars unless you rip. Which no one did.
    Closet suspenders was a good pun. :D I hadn't seen suspended fighting until now. I found out they are all local people. Maybe one day I'll get a hold of them for some portraits. ne_nau.gif
  • nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Looks like somebody deleted the photos. I've seen stuff like that before. If you have a very strong stomach, you can google "folsom street fair" and you will see stuff like it. Just don't do it after eating.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Where'd the photos GO!!!
    Where'd the photos go??????!!!!!!!
    Well I wwent to gallery and perused......quite interesting.
    Things that get us out of our comfort zone is always good.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    pics are unavailable
    There is a problem...I can't see your shots.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed