37 - first time

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited April 22, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I just recently began frequenting these forums after joining smugmug. I've watched the challenges recently and finally decided to :1drink swallow my pride and give it a try!
Since this is my first time participating I thought I'd post a few images I took today to get some feedback. Thanks!

20183241-L.jpg

20184648-L.jpg

20195058-L.jpg

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Wow I love that first one! The colour is striking and the shape is smooth and aesthetically pleasing. The 2nd shot is also great but i think #1 is betterthumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Welcome to dgrin! I really like your shots. The middle one has a cool abstract feel to it. I like the last one a little better I think because of the reflections. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. :D
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Thanks for the nice comments! It's interesting how different photos appeal to different people. Anyone else? ;)
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I really like the first one.

What are they, out of curiosity?

I don't think you need to swallow your pride, those are fine shots. Beyond fine with the first one, but that is because I like everything about it. The color first, well everything.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited April 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I really like the first one.

What are they, out of curiosity?

I don't think you need to swallow your pride, those are fine shots. Beyond fine with the first one, but that is because I like everything about it. The color first, well everything.

ginger
    Thanks, I appreciate the compliments! The first one is a stack of flaxseed oil capsules. As soon as I started playing with the lighting I knew I'd have some fun.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 22, 2005
    these are all interesting shots. welcome to dGrin.

ok, i give up; what are #2 & #3?
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

Is #2 a stack of CD's? that's my guess... I almost took a picture of my stack but couldn't find suitable lighting that flattered them and didn't reflect me...
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    2thumb.gif but i really like 1 also
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    All three are very nice thumb.gif

Shot #1 - I think I might crop it a bit at the bottom to loose the yellowish horizontal thingy-ma-bob. It makes the image feel unbalanced to me, and I think you'd have a stronger 'pattern' shot if everything was balanced out.

#2 - Cool shot! I love the detail that's just visible in the dark area in the center. I don't think I'd change a thing.

#3 - Two things keep nagging me: First it feels like it's tilted a bit clockwise. Second, the partial bottom row of thingy-ma-bobs is a distraction for me. I'm not sure that there's anything you can do about though. I don't think you could crop them out without loosing part of the row above ne_nau.gif
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Wow, really like these esp .since it goes right along with my post of a few minutes ago, hadn't had a chance to look at the forum much this past week so just now saw those. What I like is that, as I was trying to state in my post, is that the real challange as I see it is to make the pattern the main attraction, not the object(s) themselves and you've captured that idea perfectly here, not sure what the objects are containing the pattern and to me that is secondary anyway, nice job esp. #1, love the colors.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited April 22, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

#2 is a stack of blank DVD's (Shima was right) and #3 is an iron reflecting light from a window (you can sort of see the cross-pattern of the window-pane).

Cletus - thanks for the comments. I see what you mean about the unbalanced effect. The bottom of the image does show the shadow from the stack that is, obviously, not present at the top. I'll play around with cropping to see what I think.
    I also wrestled with the same issues with #3 - especially since the other two were much more symmetrical. Unfortunately the pattern does not lend itself to perfect rectangular cropping.. I'll keep toying with it.

RocketMan - I debated about whether or not to include a description of what each subject was, but decided I too cared more about the pattern than the object. (afterall, the objects are rather ordinary)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions!
  • graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I like number #1
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Wow, all three are strong images but I really like the warm and deep feel of #1.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"