Advice on lenses and camera body(s)

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Accessories
Hi everyone. I need some advice on what body/lenses I should be looking at. I mainly do landscape work, however, I also want something for weddings, portraits and such as the professional level. I have some money to spend and want to spend it wisely.

For lenses, I am looking at the following (I am not adverse to considering Sigma and/or Tamron lenses as they make some good products as well):

70-200mm AF-S f/2.8 VR Nikkor
24-70mm AF-S f/2.8 VR Nikkor
14-24mm AF-S f/2.8 VR Nikkor

For camera bodies, I am looking at the following:

Nikon D700
Nikon D300

I've used my dad's D3 on multiple occasions and just love the FX sensor. I've heard that the D700 is better in low-light too (the dust removal system of the sensor on the D700 is a big plus as well). Right now I have two D80's and numerous prime lenses for low-light. Although I love the quality of the prime, I'm tired of changing lenses for so many different situations. Also, obviously, anywhere I can save money would be great as this is going to be a major chunk of change! :wink

I know my stuff quite well with equipment, however with the wide gamut of choices out there, I figured I'd get advice from people with more experience than I. :D
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I think you ahve the rigth idea here.....is you can afford the D700 then that would be my chloice.....My only difference would be to opt for a 17-70 f2.8-4.5 over the 24-70 and then I would prob opt for a 10-20 for wider stuff.......I have used the Siggy 24-70 2.8 and while an excellent lens it just wasn't wide enuff for my liking.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Thanks Art. I'll look into that lens. I've heard Tokina makes some nice 12-24mm lens as well. Any thoughts?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,048 moderator
    edited July 28, 2008
    ... I mainly do landscape work, however, I also want something for weddings, portraits and such as the professional level. ...
    For camera bodies, I am looking at the following:

Nikon D700
    Nikon D300

I've used my dad's D3 on multiple occasions and just love the FX sensor. I've heard that the D700 is better in low-light too (the dust removal system of the sensor on the D700 is a big plus as well). ...

I believe that you can think of the D700 as a "slimmed down" D3, and with the addition of the vertical grip it doesn't lack in shooting speed.

Since you were happy with the D3, you would probably also be happy with the D700.
    For lenses, I am looking at the following (I am not adverse to considering Sigma and/or Tamron lenses as they make some good products as well):

70-200mm AF-S f/2.8 VR Nikkor
    24-70mm AF-S f/2.8 VR Nikkor
    14-24mm AF-S f/2.8 VR Nikkor

Yes, the:

Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR ED-IF
    Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S
    Nikkor 14-24mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S

... are all very sweet lenses and together would make a fine wedding and landscape kit. (Only the 70-200mm has VR however.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 28, 2008
    It seems that there are no threads for the 14-24mm Nikkor as the glass elements protrudes quite prominently. I would want to be able to put a polarizer and ND filters on this lens. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

How does the Tokina 11-16mm or 12-24mm fair in comparison?headscratch.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 28, 2008
    It seems that there are no threads for the 14-24mm Nikkor as the glass elements protrudes quite prominently. I would want to be able to put a polarizer and ND filters on this lens. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

How does the Tokina 11-16mm or 12-24mm fair in comparison?headscratch.gif

Polarizing filters are not as effective on lenses with extremely wide field-of-view. The result usually looks kinda wierd.
    ziggy53
    edited July 29, 2008
    Duh... I should have known about the whole vignetting thing.... umph.gif

Thanks Ziiggy!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 29, 2008
    Duh... I should have known about the whole vignetting thing.... umph.gif

Thanks Ziiggy!

It's not so much vignetting with the polarizers, there are strategies around that.

It has more to do with how polarizers work.

With really wide angle lenses and polarizers it's hard to get a good looking effect because the angle of the sun changes so much across the field-of-view.
    ziggy53
    edited August 10, 2008
    Ok... due to budgetary constraints, I've narrowed it down to 3 packages I can afford:

Package #1
    2 D300's
    17-55 f2.8 DX Nikkor
    11-17 f2.8 tokina
    70-200f2.8 VR Nikkor
    1.7x TC-17 II Nikon Teleconvertor
    Battery grip for D300
    + approximately $1500 extra cash

Package #2
    D700
    14-24 f2.8 Nikkor
    24-70 f2.8 Nikkor
    70-200 f.28 VR Nikkor
    1.7 TC-17 II Nikon Teleconvertor
    Battery grip for D700
    +no extra cash

Package #3
    D3
    70-200 f2.8 VR Nikkor
    1.7 C-17 II Nikon Teleconvertor
    1 of the following lenses:
    14-24 f2.8 Nikkor
    24-70 f2.8 Nikkor
    +no extra cash

I really love the FX format and its high ISO capabilities. I tried a D300 and really am not impressed with it at all. I feel it is a remade DX version of the 5D. After careful review of the D700 and trying it out for a day I am of the view that its 3299.00 asking price is way too much considering the following:

- it has an average shutter life of 100,000 actuations. The D3 has way more and costs 4999.00. Why should I pay significantly more than half the cost of a D3 for a camera that won't last me nearly as long? (the D3 has an average of 300,000 shutter actuations)ne_nau.gif

- the D3 has about 1-stop better high ISO capabilities

- the D3 has dual CF slots (not a high priority, but nonetheless an advantage)

- after the 299.00 battery grip, 75.00 battery, and 75.00 charger (the battery in the grip uses a different charger than the battery in camera)... the camera really costs close to $4000.00 after tax. The D3 uses the same battery in a built-in battery grip (also uses the same charger).

I really need help as I am at a cross-roads. I would like to start to apprentice as a second shooter in weddings this summer, however, I want my money to go into the correct areas. I am really leaning against the D300's as most photographers in the area shoot large-sensor cameras and rarely need to use flash (that would put me at a significant disadvantage).

I am open to all advice. If I am misinformed on any of the things I have said, please feel free and correct me. Also, if anyone has other lens suggestions, I am open to hearing them. Thanks everyone! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited August 10, 2008
    If you are a second shooter you might not need a second body, but if you branch out on your own you absolutely need a backup.

If you are a second shooter, the D300 is fine. The only time you might need the D3 or D700 quality is for the formals.

If you think you don't need flash for the D3 and D700, you are mistaken. Flash allows you to control the light. Accepting ambient light is usually not practical or sometimes not even possible. Controlling the light is the only way to control the results.

Lighting is my first priority at a wedding. Staging the subjects and background selection is the second priority. Accurate autofocus and proper choice of lens is the final priority.

Actual resolution and ultimate noise levels wil play a part in final results but not as much as the above details.
    ziggy53
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I would have to second Ziggy's comment about needing a second body if you ever become the prime shooter. You absolutely need a backup camera. And, consider this before you jump one way or another, the chance to be the primary could present itself much sooner than you now anticipate.

Oh and about light - light is everything for a photo. Take care of the light and the rest kinda falls into place!
    edited August 10, 2008
    Maybe I forgot to mention i had two D80's. Couldn't either of them be used as a temporary backup? I also have 2 sb800's. Does anyone have any thoughts on the packages I mentioned?

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited August 10, 2008
    Maybe I forgot to mention i had two D80's. Couldn't either of them be used as a temporary backup? I also have 2 sb800's. Does anyone have any thoughts on the packages I mentioned?

Depending upon the lenses available, they would be better for backing up the D300 since they would offer a similar FOV with the same lens on either body.

There are a lot of wedding shooters using the D300 so you would be in good company. (For that matter people also use the D80 as primary.)

Responsiveness is another valuable quality in a camera because sometimes the action just won't wait. I think the responsiveness of all the cameras discussed is enough for a wedding.

You could always rent some equipemnt as a second shooter before committing to purchase.
    ziggy53