lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    final black and white version...
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    final black and white version...
    I'm a huge fan of these shots, and what you did after the extraction is really great. But, as you also know, I think a lot is lost in this particular B&W conversion. Still love them. but not nearly as much as in color. In color, they have this Playboy reference that is just so shocking and so funny. This is just completely lost in B&W.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    after..
    WOW! Your getting pretty good kido. You photographed her in your garage, and then extracted her from that complex background. That would have taken me forever. ps: who's Harley?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    WOW! Your getting pretty good kido. You photographed her in your garage, and then extracted her from that complex background. That would have taken me forever. ps: who's Harley?
    A guy who comes into the breakfast place where these ladies work.. we liked his Harley and dragged him in off the street. He did'nt seem to mind.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of these shots, and what you did after the extraction is really great. But, as you also know, I think a lot is lost in this particular B&W conversion. Still love them. but not nearly as much as in color. In color, they have this Playboy reference that is just so shocking and so funny. This is just completely lost in B&W.
    I know I know... but... costs are cut in HALF for the calendar, AND the color cast/shadows/ printing problems have gone away and I won't have a melt down after all.. I'll do the next one in color Rutt:D
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Nice work rutt! thumb.gif
    Well, this story isn't quite told yet. I posted the same thing in the SportsCenter of FredMiranda.com and folks there noticed a halo. around the player Turns out this results from having the player in the layer I blurred. The blur spreads some of the player colors out beyond the sharp borders of the mask layer. The solution is to clone out the player before blurring the background layer.

I also figured out a nicer way to handle the ground on the bottom of the shot. I used a layer with a layer mask and a gradiant to fade out the sharp grass towrard the fence.

The difference is this:

4069006-M.jpg

versus this:

4184519-M.jpg

Here is another example of this technique (I think I'm getting better at it.)

4206472-M.jpg

Into this:

4206487-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Figured I just learned enough from this thread it would benefit from a bump for other new members.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Those extractions and all seem so intricate, I don't think I could ever do it. I mean and keep my sanity.

So I would quit, then without practice............I could never do them well.

Rutt yours look fantastic. Lynn, I like the color, too. Somehow I just don't associate black and white with what you are trying to achieve.

But Lynn, how did you ever extract all the intricate places on the motorcycle?

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Those extractions and all seem so intricate, I don't think I could ever do it. I mean and keep my sanity.

Rutt yours look fantastic. Lynn, I like the color, too. Somehow I just don't associate black and white with what you are trying to achieve.

But Lynn, how did you ever extract all the intricate places on the motorcycle?

g
    very slowly and very carefully.. I have a Wacom Tablet with a pen so it makes it easier to control.. just like drawing.. I had to do them in black and white, printing was too much money in color.. sheesh.. I thought I'd seen the last of those shots.. I can't bare to look at them....:crazy
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    very slowly and very carefully.. I have a Wacom Tablet with a pen so it makes it easier to control.. just like drawing.. I had to do them in black and white, printing was too much money in color.. sheesh.. I thought I'd seen the last of those shots.. I can't bare to look at them....:crazy
    Lynn, tell me more about the Wacom Tablet, please.

You like it? Do you use PC of Mac?
    Seen them before and thought that would be the ticket for fine work, but have never met or spoken to anyone who uses them.

I know, should get out more!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Lynn, tell me more about the Wacom Tablet, please.

You like it? Do you use PC of Mac?
    Seen them before and thought that would be the ticket for fine work, but have never met or spoken to anyone who uses them.

I know, should get out more!!rolleyes1.gif
    I have a small one.... Wacom tablet that is. umph.gif

lol3.gif

I find using the pen tool is good for detail work like extractions. I confess that I don't use it much otherwise. It's a simple USB2 install for me. pop-in the CD, ingest the software, then plug in the tablet. When the pen gets near the tablet surface, it takes over from the mouse.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    See what you did...I already played with the idea to try out a tablet once, but now I did spy over at ebay and bought an old small 4x5 Wacom Graphire 1 (I guess) to fool around a littlebit. umph.gif

Which Wacom do you have?

Hope this thingy is useful for me! :D
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    See what you did...I already played with the idea to try out a tablet once, but now I did spy over at ebay and bought an old small 4x5 Wacom Graphire 1 (I guess) to fool around a littlebit. umph.gif

Which Wacom do you have?

Hope this thingy is useful for me! :D
    I have the Intuos 2, about 6" by 8" I reckon, can't remember exactly.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I have the Intuos 2, about 6" by 8" I reckon, can't remember exactly.
    Phew, I guess that would be a class to high to just try these things out. Let's see how mine performs.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    I have the Intuos 2 (I think) and I use it all the time.. I love it.. I could'nt possibly do fine extracting, or selecting or anything else without it.. I use it as a mouse a lot too unless I'm rummaging through files and such. I think it's a wonderful tool and a must for fine work.1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    17683684-L.gifclap.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

Ginger, that's exactly how I felt when I started this thread. I'm still not good at selections, wacom tablet and all. But much better than before the key post to read is this: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=9781&postcount=14
    If it's harder than the extract filter can handle, then I usually either give up or outsource.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    Sid.