I Thought That I would Start With A Bang...

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited July 29, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Last week I signed onto SmugMug and so far enjoy it a lot!! I just noticed this forum today and thought I would also join in here.
I hope that I am putting this in the right forum.

We went camping this last week end. I took along my Taurus, Raging Bull, .454 Casull. If you are not familiar with this gun, it is kind of a hand held cannon:D. My daughter's boyfriend and I decided to take a few pictures of firing it after dark. This is the best one I came up with. The equipment used was a Sony A700 and a Sony 18-250mm lens. The camera was on a tripod and set to manual. I used the bulb mode and my wireless remote. The shot turned ouot better than I expected. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, Ron

340437713_aPFMi-L.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Being an outdoorsman, I really like what you've done here!....and your right, it's a machine!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    ront wrote:
    Last week I signed onto SmugMug and so far enjoy it a lot!! I just noticed this forum today and thought I would also join in here.
    I hope that I am putting this in the right forum.

We went camping this last week end. I took along my Taurus, Raging Bull, .454 Casull. If you are not familiar with this gun, it is kind of a hand held cannon:D. My daughter's boyfriend and I decided to take a few pictures of firing it after dark. This is the best one I came up with. The equipment used was a Sony A700 and a Sony 18-250mm lens. The camera was on a tripod and set to manual. I used the bulb mode and my wireless remote. The shot turned ouot better than I expected. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, Ron

Welcome to the Dgrin Forum Ron clap.gif
    Great intro for your first post rolleyes1.gif

I'm surprised there is so much colour in the smoke from the gun.
    I don't know why but I had this thing in my head that the smoke would just be a mixture of white and gray, but this shot clearly shows lots of pastel coloration .

I like how you can see the fireburst as the gun has gone off,
    not only at the tip of the gun but also where the firing pin is if I am correct.

Nicely set up and executed so to speak clap.gif :ivar
    Excellent shot Ron, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you nod.gif

... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    There appears to be a green cast on the hand. Did you edit to bring out the colors in the flash?
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Thanks for the comments.

Mnemosyne, all I did with this picture is to crop it just a bit and brighten it up just a bit and that is it. I used LR.

Thanks, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Neat shot.thumb.gif
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    I played around a bit, trying to get the hand to match skin tones. Not sure if I did it right. Edited it in Raw editor, played with the levels and contrast, and then desaturated the yellow and red channels. I think I might have pushed it too much :D
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Welcome !
    Fantastic image !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery