A Few Shots from Nightingale's Garden

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited July 30, 2008 in Holy Macro
We are finally beginning to see more butterflies. I think the flooding this spring had a negative effect on the insect population, I have never so few skippers. Here are a few shots from the last few days - 5D, 20mm extension tube, Tamron 180 macro

a pollen gathering bee

340839774_SuRd2-L.jpg

A flower past its prime

340840521_qDJax-L.jpg

A swallowtail upside down

340838465_Mr4MA-L.jpg

Another pollen gathering bee

339453807_UVc6d-L.jpg

Comments and critiques gratefully entertained:thumb
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• liewwkliewwk Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    clean and sharp images
    liewwk
    More pictures @ Flickr or Multiply

My Macro Setup
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Lovely series- esp like the 2nd bee shot.
    Brian v.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 29, 2008
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    We are finally beginning to see more butterflies. I think the flooding this spring had a negative effect on the insect population, I have never so few skippers. Here are a few shots from the last few days - 5D, 20mm extension tube, Tamron 180 macro

a pollen gathering bee
    A flower past its prime
    A swallowtail upside down
    Another pollen gathering bee
    Comments and critiques gratefully entertainedthumb.gif

Hi Jim, I like all these shots you've posted, especially the last one of the bee, that's a really nice shot that one clap.gif

Those Swallow Tails are so pretty, will there be many butterflies etc around in UTAH at the time of year we will be there??

Lovely series Jim thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 29, 2008
    Thanks for looking guys and gals.

Skippy,

I am not certain how many butterflies we will see in the desert in Moab. I certainly see butterflies well into October here in Indiana, but I am not certain about Moab. Along the river, where we are staying, with the higher moisture levels, there may well be some. We can hope, eh, Skippy? I hope you are feeling much better.

I am glad everyone liked the bees. I rather like the tones in the flower, myself.ne_nau.gif

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    The second image - the lone flower- is beautiful. Wonderful gentle colors, and excellent use of depth of field & composition.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    The colors in the flower shot are extra special! That background color is gorgeous and complements the petals so well. The bees are SOOO sharp and bright! Brilliant! And the butterfly (on a butterfly bush?) is a unique perspective. Wonderful set!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 29, 2008
    Nice work, Jim. Like the others are say'in - nice, sharp and contrasty.

We aren't seeing as many butterflies or dragons this year either.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    I am kind of surprised that there has been little or no public discussion about the decrease in butterflies and skippers. I am used to seeing dozens of skippers on a single butterfly bush in our backyard ( Nightingale's garden ) and now I see maybe one at a time. I have only sees a very few butterflies also. The change is quite dramatic to me, particularly in June and early July. They do seem a little more frequent now than several weeks ago.

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am kind of surprised that there has been little or no public discussion about the decrease in butterflies and skippers. I am used to seeing dozens of skippers on a single butterfly bush in our backyard ( Nightingale's garden ) and now I see maybe one at a time. I have only sees a very few butterflies also. The change is quite dramatic to me, particularly in June and early July. They do seem a little more frequent now than several weeks ago.

Hmm...I've felt quite the opposite around here. I've been seeing multiple butterflies and dragonflies every day. I've only lived in this particular spot for 2 1/2 years, and this year I have more flowers in bloom than ever before, so maybe that has something to do with it? I've not noticed a shortage, but I guess that doesn't mean there isn't one.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography