grand canyon II

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Landscapes
dgrin friends, here are some more favorite captures from my toroweap grand canyon adventure.

please C&C & advise me in anyway. thank you.

p.s. the poll is for me to narrow down which three to enter into a contest. (and to give me an overall feel to which ones are stronger in general:D )
Aaron Nelson

your top three? 68 votes

4%
pug8Tangocoscorrosa 3 votes
27%
Phil U.marsmarkAwais YaqubAntonio CorreiaBugsmangreenpeaSwartzypug8Marc MuenchpicturegirltheinlawjosiewfellerDaddyOTangotinfishdlplumernobodycj99siDarren Troy C 19 votes
14%
cmasonBugsmanPaulcaotheinlawjosiewfellerCWSkopecdlplumernobodymud390Darren Troy C 10 votes
10%
NikolaiAwais YaqubAntonio CorreiacmasonMarc Muenchmud390cj99si 7 votes
8%
Phil U.marsmarkcmasonDaddyOcj99siDarren Troy C 6 votes
13%
NikolaimarsmarkSwartzypug8Marc MuenchtheinlawjosieDaddyOcoscorrosaCWSkopec 9 votes
2%
wfellerdlplumer 2 votes
0%
17%
Phil U.NikolairichterslAwais YaqubAntonio CorreiaBugsmanSwartzyfiatsurfTangocoscorrosaCWSkopecmud390 12 votes

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Holy mackeral Aaron.....now how's a guy supposed to pick one of those. That 2nd black and white is awesome..better put that on the wall...then again...#3,4,5,6 rock as well...then.....#9.....geez. Quite honestly, I absolutely love the composition of #2 and the elements. I'm not sure it would take the contest but it's really that good. A bit more dramatic contrast may improve it a bit.

#3 is beautiful but the tree is a bit too centered. #6 needs just a tad more of the shadow areas opened up....and I think I would choose that one personally. #9 is right beside it for choice. Ok, enough waffling....between #6 & #9. Dodge some of the shadow areas as I'd love to see those dynamics pop there........these are all so nice. I'll wait to vote once revisiting. Hope all this is as clear as mud. :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    These are all incredibly amazing!!!!!!!!!! I would hang every single one on my wall....It would be my home's motif!!!!!!!!! wings.gif

I guess if I really had to narrow it down to which piece to put in my bedroom or something, I would have to consider #2, 3, 6 and 9. I would probably lean a little towards #2 so I think I might pick that. :D

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Wow! incredible. #2 is my favorite. It's perfect.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Two and three are awesome. Shows the drama!

~Eia~
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    These are great Aaron! The second though, whew,... thumb.gif
    Anybody can do it.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    OK, honestly... it's just plain mean to make up pick!! If I came home with any one of those from a trip I would be ecstatic!! Great work!!

The conversion on 2 is awesome, but I love the colors in 3!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    I picked 1, 2 and 6. I really like 3 as well, but it doesn't scream "Grand Canyon" as much as the others - if that is what you're going for. (Also, the tree is a bit centrally placed.) Is it a Grand Canyon specific contest?
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    AAron,
    Rather difficult choice !mwink.gif
    I voted for number 2, number 4 and number 9.

Number 2 for it's grand DoF and composition. For the landscape itself as well. :D
    I do like it in black and white. The first elements - the stones - give a sense of deepness with the river leading us to the large mountain at the far end of the picture. The picture has a sense a scale what is not very common and easy in this kind of pictures...

Number 4 for the unusual size and composition. I like the Sun with the lens star and the general brown tonnality. Again, rocks in the foregroung give depth to the picture.

Number 9 again for the same reasons. I am afraid I am repeating myself...ne_nau.gif. The little ponds of water give the picture a more dynamic view and we visually jump from one to another.:D

The other pictures are also very good, mainly number 3 which is also one of my favourits.
    I am not in my Mac where I can have a better view of the pictures. Here, the monitor is rather poor...:cry
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Holy mackeral Aaron.....now how's a guy supposed to pick one of those. That 2nd black and white is awesome..better put that on the wall...then again...#3,4,5,6 rock as well...then.....#9.....geez. Quite honestly, I absolutely love the composition of #2 and the elements. I'm not sure it would take the contest but it's really that good. A bit more dramatic contrast may improve it a bit.

#3 is beautiful but the tree is a bit too centered. #6 needs just a tad more of the shadow areas opened up....and I think I would choose that one personally. #9 is right beside it for choice. Ok, enough waffling....between #6 & #9. Dodge some of the shadow areas as I'd love to see those dynamics pop there........these are all so nice. I'll wait to vote once revisiting. Hope all this is as clear as mud. :D

Swartzy, thanks that makes my day hearing Holy mackeral...Laughing.gif
    thanks for the fine c&c!

#2 i just love the sky drama there...storm left sunsine right....
    #6 is stong one in my mind too... that is 5 upper level expos and 5 lower level expos mearged together... (so this is capable to have res @ gianormous print sizes....)(man i need a 1dsMIII)
    #9 are you talking about the showdow sides of the rocks or bushes or were?(the rocks would be a bit difficult maybe)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    These are all incredibly amazing!!!!!!!!!! I would hang every single one on my wall....It would be my home's motif!!!!!!!!! wings.gif

I guess if I really had to narrow it down to which piece to put in my bedroom or something, I would have to consider #2, 3, 6 and 9. I would probably lean a little towards #2 so I think I might pick that. :D

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

thanks Shane...ha, i have to find frames at walmart prices before i could do that:D

thanks for the comments!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    tinfish wrote:
    Wow! incredible. #2 is my favorite. It's perfect.

thanks so much! its looking like #2 is turning out stronger than i expected
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    Two and three are awesome. Shows the drama!

~Eia~

thumb.gif thanks!
    Aaron Nelson
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    2, 4, , and 5 for me! Awesomethumb.gif
    edited July 29, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    These are great Aaron! The second though, whew,... thumb.gif

Walter is this area in your jurisdiction of the mohave? im not sure what you drive but you will need really good tires and some ground clearance...
    my little curb jumper made it fine (haha remember that?)
    anyway that road has many flat tire oppertunities....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Voted for 2, 4 , 9
    Tough decision
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 29, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    OK, honestly... it's just plain mean to make up pick!! If I came home with any one of those from a trip I would be ecstatic!! Great work!!

The conversion on 2 is awesome, but I love the colors in 3!!

thank you, and beleive me i am very thankful/grateful....
    though there are many things i would adjust to in doing different if i could do it over.

i.e. #2 is a single expo, i wish i had done just a little over lapping or maybe a pano too, but a single expo still goes further than no expo:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    pug8 wrote:
    I picked 1, 2 and 6. I really like 3 as well, but it doesn't scream "Grand Canyon" as much as the others - if that is what you're going for. (Also, the tree is a bit centrally placed.) Is it a Grand Canyon specific contest?

thanks for the comments!

and the contest is for "outdoor photographer" i havent read all the rules yet but i believe that the shot must discribe its location is a sorta kinda way....
    so maybe #3 wont make it for the contest...but i did enter it in the DGRIN challenge in which i made the finial cut for once...ever!!!!(hey go vote for your favorite entry!!)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    AAron,
    Rather difficult choice !mwink.gif
    I voted for number 2, number 4 and number 9.

Number 2 for it's grand DoF and composition. For the landscape itself as well. :D
    I do like it in black and white. The first elements - the stones - give a sense of deepness with the river leading us to the large mountain at the far end of the picture. The picture has a sense a scale what is not very common and easy in this kind of pictures...

Number 4 for the unusual size and composition. I like the Sun with the lens star and the general brown tonnality. Again, rocks in the foregroung give depth to the picture.

Number 9 again for the same reasons. I am afraid I am repeating myself...ne_nau.gif. The little ponds of water give the picture a more dynamic view and we visually jump from one to another.:D

The other pictures are also very good, mainly number 3 which is also one of my favourits.
    I am not in my Mac where I can have a better view of the pictures. Here, the monitor is rather poor...:cry

thanks Antonio! thank you for the comments! those sun stars sure are fun. a little stressful due to the timing and all...lol
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    2, 4, , and 5 for me! Awesomethumb.gif

thanks for the comment/votes. im glad to see #5 get some attention. it is special to me for reasons that my Daughter was with me to watch the light hit this specific area in such a grand and amazing way.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    Voted for 2, 4 , 9
    Tough decision

thank you Awais!!!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    ive been reading the rules to the contest and this is one requirement:

"Limit: Three (3) entries per person. Each entry submitted by any person must be substantially different from any other entry submitted by that person, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. "

im not sure for sure how to look at this...does it mean not to submit photos of the same location or just photos of the same exact overlook per'say? you see my confusion?

after thinking about it i do want to use one of my bryce canyon shots (my avatar)

im glad to see #2 is stong with you all and i believe i will for sure use that one.
    Aaron Nelson
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Walter is this area in your jurisdiction of the mohave? im not sure what you drive but you will need really good tires and some ground clearance...
    my little curb jumper made it fine (haha remember that?)
    anyway that road has many flat tire oppertunities....

Yep. Colorado Plateau is adjacent to the Mojave as is Great Basin and even a bit of the Grand Staircase (I believe). Can't describe ecotones without ecozones.

Have you got some desert pinstripping on your curb jumper yet? It was awful pretty :) I've got a few contraptions to choose from. None are much for looks or smell, but I'm not out to take photos of them. I need to go back and try some serious photography. A few years ago I spent 4 days there working on this. I'd love to do the north rim and Havasu Falls. There's some crazy-great stories about the Hualapai, Havasu, Navaho & Hopi I'd like to get location photos of (ever hear of the 'Greasy Eye-socket People?').

You're very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. I'd love to get out of the meta-humanage this is turning into, go out that way and live in a bunker and take many, many wives (hot ones).

AND good luck Aaron/ Again, fantastic shots!
    Anybody can do it.
    edited July 29, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Yep. Colorado Plateau is adjacent to the Mojave as is Great Basin and even a bit of the Grand Staircase (I believe). Can't describe ecotones without ecozones.

Have you got some desert pinstripping on your curb jumper yet? It was awful pretty :) I've got a few contraptions to choose from. None are much for looks or smell, but I'm not out to take photos of them. I need to go back and try some serious photography. A few years ago I spent 4 days there working on this. I'd love to do the north rim and Havasu Falls. There's some crazy-great stories about the Hualapai, Havasu, Navaho & Hopi I'd like to get location photos of (ever hear of the 'Greasy Eye-socket People?').

You're very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. I'd love to get out of the meta-humanage this is turning into, go out that way and live in a bunker and take many, many wives (hot ones).

AND good luck Aaron/ Again, fantastic shots!

never heard of them...greasy eye-socket people...whoa....

anyway, many many pinstripes....had them when we toured the santa barbara islands(:D ) but it was too dark to see them down both sides of the suv i guess...

take on more wives?....ugh, why torture yourself....hahaha
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    ive been reading the rules to the contest and this is one requirement:

"Limit: Three (3) entries per person. Each entry submitted by any person must be substantially different from any other entry submitted by that person, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. "

im not sure for sure how to look at this...does it mean not to submit photos of the same location or just photos of the same exact overlook per'say? you see my confusion?

after thinking about it i do want to use one of my bryce canyon shots (my avatar)

BUMP
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    i went ahead and entered. i used #2, #6 & my hoodoo window star shot...

wish me luck eh!mwink.gif

theres only 2900 enteries so far, so should be easyrolleyes1.gif , deadline aug 1st.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 29, 2008
    holy crap, i forgot #9

what the heck! wheres my head.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif

Well either way good luck, Aaron! thumb.gif
    edited July 30, 2008
    thumb.gif thanks Schmoo!

btw, the upload requirement was 125k @72ppi

so i went to look at my photos on their on-line gallery....well they look like crappy doodoo... for some reason they look like badly done hdr renditions of what ive shared here on dgrin....so if the gallery presents my photos that badly i can only guess whats going to happen. and after the editors select the winners the public votes on the remander 2900 +......now how the heck will anyone beable to sit down and look through all of them to select a favorite...i would guess its one of those deals where if you want votes you have to recruit them...which i will not do.
    Aaron Nelson
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Awesome series, I think #6 is my favorite, I love the sense of depth, but it's all completely subjective (as you can tell from the results of the poll which are fairly evenly spread).