Options

Lightroom 2. out now!

2»

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Can you expand on the 'lots more'? Or point to the info elsewhere.

The print module alone is worth the price of admission for some. If you've ever had to print multiple images out of Photoshop, you know its a drag and its time consuming. In LR, select the images, a template and you're done. The web gallery module is equally useful to those making web galleries.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann: will just go down the list of what I do with LR. Remember, this is in one tool, and I can batch any of these commands, sync edits across images, copy edits to images, etc:

For any image, RAW or JPG:

Import, catalog, tag
    sort, rate, flag (no not Dr Seuss, but it is that easy)

Adjust:
    -Exposure
    -Tone
    -Whitebalance
    -black level
    -brightness
    -contrast
    -vibrance
    -saturation
    - tone curve:highlights, shadows, etc

Crop
    Straighten
    spot remove (heal/clone)
    red-eye remove
    Sharpen
    Add Noise Reduction
    Add/remove vignette

Oh and upload to Smugmug.

All of the above are in one tool, NON DESTRUCTIVE, meaning there are no layers, everything can be undone and reversed.

You can create multiple 'virtual images' applying different edits to each.

Then there is print and web modules, but I never use them. Can you do these in Bridge/CS? Yes, but I find that in CS I need to do too many layers, and adjustments across images are not a few clicks away. You can do it, but with LR it is just dirt simple and build around photography. I have CS3, I use it on perhaps 5% of images now: I launch from LR when i need some more involved cloning, or masking that LR isnt designed for. But even then, LR handles the files, including creating a PSD for CS3.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Oooh, guess what, the upgrade is $160 in the UK, thanks again Adobe for treating your UK customers with such contempt.

Charlie
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    ... I have CS3, I use it on perhaps 5% of images now: I launch from LR when i need some more involved cloning, or masking that LR isnt designed for. But even then, LR handles the files, including creating a PSD for CS3.

Since I started using LR I've been using CS3 much less... now with the local adjustment brush and gradient tool I'll venture into Photoshop even less!
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Downloading now and can't wait to fire it up!! nod.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Quick example
    As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Here's a photo that serves the purpose of comparing Lightoom 1 and 2. I have to admit hardly ever venturing out of Lightroom. Below is the image as best I could get it with LR 1.

Lightroom 1.1.4
    312847538_kKN7P-M.jpg

Now, with 5 minutes of tinkering in LR2, we get this. I used the 'neutral density/gradient' tool to drop the exposure of the sky by 1 and then used the local adjustment on the rock and increased that exposure by 1. Also changed the camera calibration profile to Canon Landscape.

Lightroom 2
    342163925_KTMkx-M.jpg

Hopefully you'll agree that this is a better image. This is what I had pictured in my mind's eye but never could get out of LR 1. I remain too stupid to know how to do any of this in photoshop.

As for the cost, just think of the savings in graduated neutral density filters alone...

The only problem now is trying to keep myself from revisiting every single old photo and reprocessing them...rolleyes1.gif

Hope this helps,
    E
  • Options
    JWCarterJWCarter Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Lightroom upgrade
    eoren1 wrote:
    As the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Here's a photo that serves the purpose of comparing Lightoom 1 and 2. I have to admit hardly ever venturing out of Lightroom. Below is the image as best I could get it with LR 1.

Lightroom 1.1.4
    312847538_kKN7P-M.jpg

Now, with 5 minutes of tinkering in LR2, we get this. I used the 'neutral density/gradient' tool to drop the exposure of the sky by 1 and then used the local adjustment on the rock and increased that exposure by 1. Also changed the camera calibration profile to Canon Landscape.

Lightroom 2
    342163925_KTMkx-M.jpg

Hopefully you'll agree that this is a better image. This is what I had pictured in my mind's eye but never could get out of LR 1. I remain too stupid to know how to do any of this in photoshop.

As for the cost, just think of the savings in graduated neutral density filters alone...

The only problem now is trying to keep myself from revisiting every single old photo and reprocessing them...rolleyes1.gif

Hope this helps,
    E

Is the Beta 2 upgradable for $99?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    not sure...never did the beta route.
    anyone else?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Well, I downloaded the free trial and am tinkering. So far I think this will be an awesome tool for me -> raw conversion through to cropped photo all at once. Now I need to really figure out how to make the bulk changes stick. I thought synchronize would do it, but apparently not. This is just a learning curve/workflow thing, I know. Anyway, I think this will be a better use for my $ than a new lens right now!

ann
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, I downloaded the free trial and am tinkering. So far I think this will be an awesome tool for me -> raw conversion through to cropped photo all at once. Now I need to really figure out how to make the bulk changes stick. I thought synchronize would do it, but apparently not. This is just a learning curve/workflow thing, I know. Anyway, I think this will be a better use for my $ than a new lens right now!

ann

Ann: you can do this by copying and pasteing Develop settings. Simply right click a photo, select Develop Settings, and choose "Copy'...then 'Paste' on the target photos. But Sync is more powerful....watch these videos...

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2007/video-applying-edits-to-multiple-photos/

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/friday-video-tip-auto-syncing/
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann

In the develop module and assuming you have one photo selected, do a shift click to select the rest of the photos to sync to the current photo's settings. (Insure that first photo is still the current photo if like me, prone to hyperactive clicking..;)

Click the sync button and in the resulting panel, select whatever settings that you want to pull over... Then click the syncronize button in that same panel. You should start seeing newly rendering thumbs in the filmstrip as well as those changes once you start navigating to those photos. Maybe already aware of this, but since you are new to Lightroom, keep in mind that you are not making any changes to your originals.. Those changes will be in the resulting exported pics, prints, slideshow, or web gallery.

Have fun! thumb.gif
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    JWCarter wrote:
    Is the Beta 2 upgradable for $99?

I don't even know what you mean. If you're asking if you can get LR 2 for $99 because you used the beta, no. If you paid for LR 1 and have been using the LR 2 beta you can upgrade for $99, yes.
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    I don't even know what you mean. If you're asking if you can get LR 2 for $99 because you used the beta, no. If you paid for LR 1 and have been using the LR 2 beta you can upgrade for $99, yes.

Exactly and if you hurry you can get it for $84 using the code mentioned earlier.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Both Bridge and Lightroom can do that. Lightroom isn't necessary for that if you already have Bridge. Lightroom is a bit more friendly though, since you don't have to do your edits inside a Camera Raw dialog box.

You can also undo a bulk metadata sync in Lightroom. In Bridge, if you paste settings onto images and then realize the file selection accidentally included 450 other images that should not have been changed, there's no way back.

That's why it's wise to use XMP sidecar files. if you blow them away you are back to the defaults. Or if you use time machine you can go back to the last version if it was there long enough to be backed up.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    LR 2 - moving photos not updating thumbnails in Library module
    Anyone else notice odd behavior when moving photos? I posted this to the Adobe Forum but have not gotten any replies. Thought I would check here as well:

I set about moving some photos around from the 'unfiled' directory that they initially get dumped in to folders that bear my children's names. In LR 1, moving the photo would immediately remove those thumbnails from the library grid. However, in LR 2, this is not happening. All of my thumbnails are still in the 'unfiled' directory. Tried clicking other directories and then returning without any changes.
    Anyone experiencing this? Any thoughts on modifying this behavior?
    Thanks,
    E

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    No its not a better spend than new glass! :D However, it is great spend otherwise. I got it a couple of days ago and the minor tweaks in it really make it more smooth. Love the added brushes to it.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Between the brush tool and graduated filter thingy I was easily sold. The rest was just icing. Better CS3 integration, 64bit, more print options, keywording upgrade, better search interface, smart collections, dual monitor support, more slide show options, and assorted other tweaks. It's a whole different program now just with brush + automask of exposure, sat, sharpening, contrast, and others.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2008
    After working with it today for the first time. Wow.. it is a really nice upgrade. I love the new tools and I like the nice tweaks to the interface. A few things moved that I keep going for in the wrong spot like the mask tool, but I love the changes. Makes the dev bar much handier with all the goodies accessable and much easier workflow.

I even had it successfully convert my original 1.0 catalog that would not convert to 1.1 and was supposedly toast. Heck.. that alone was worth the upgrade price in my book!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    As someone that has never had lightroom, and only switched to full CS3 last fall, and shoots sports...is this a better spend than new glass would be? I'd like to find a way to batch change WB/temp and maybe a couple other mods, then edit one by one. I am spending ALOT of time now doing basic edits to 4 gigs of game photos.

Thanks!

ann

There is a way to do that Ann. If you have a lot of pics with the same/similar settings, you change one photo, then highlight all the other ones you would like the same change, press "sync" and all the highlighted photos now have the same changes.

I use Lightroom all the time to make batch changes. It's pretty quick and easy.
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com