Mount Rainier sunrise..

scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Landscapes
I took these photos at the end of June but haven't been able to post them until now. These were taken from Chinook Pass, which is about 11 miles east of the mountain. The panoramas were taken using the kit lens on my Pentax K10d and stitched together using Auto-Stitch.

First photo (an hour before dawn):

340862051_vFhMf-XL.jpg

Second Photo (dawn):

340863576_f4ox7-XL.jpg

Third Photo (little bit past dawn):

340864769_RdnfM-XL.jpg

Lastly, I did use my 300mm zoom onto the standard climbing route and I'm able to pick off several of the climbing parties on the mountain. This is a cropped portion of the original. Pretty cool-

340991817_DQVqs-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.. :D

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    These are cool very nice work !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Very nice results. Its cool so see how the light evolves over time.
    The predawn image is really sweet. Love the blue in that one.

Are all those teeny tiny specks winding around to the top climbers?
    Thats a lot of people on the mountain!
    Michael
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    I like them all, what a nice morning! how cold was it? I think I like the third best and would probably like the ones with the trees better if you were able to get the top of the tree.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    bowdown.gif to the climbers and your shots ofcoursethumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Thanks, all.

I don't know what the temps were but I'll estimate that they were above freezing, probably around 40 degrees since the snow was slightly firm but still easy to traverse in.

The black specs are climbers along the route. The long conga line of people in the middle of the photo are "clients" using the official climbing guide service in the park.

Despite using a shoe-mounted dual bubble level, I had a little problem with my panoramas so I had to crop a little more than I would have liked in order to remove the black areas in my composite. My primary focus was zooming in enough to get good detail of the mountain but I also like what the tree in the photo adds..
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Sweet! I was just there on Sunday night (posted in another thread), I was thinking of going there pre-dawn to do some shooting at dawn, sunrise, and a little after sunrise, you've convinced me it's a good idea :D