Options

ACR 4.5 released

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited August 5, 2008 in Finishing School
I noticed that Adobe has released ACR 4.5. The release notes mention adding support for Olympus E420 and E520 cameras but don't say anything else. Anybody know if there is anything else worthwhile in this release?

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I noticed that Adobe has released ACR 4.5. The release notes mention adding support for Olympus E420 and E520 cameras but don't say anything else. Anybody know if there is anything else worthwhile in this release?
    All I could find was this ... it appears that's all they've done to ACR.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    All I could find was this ... it appears that's all they've done to ACR.

Right, I saw that. Looks underwhelming to me. Oh well...
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Right, I saw that. Looks underwhelming to me. Oh well...

From what I have read, there are some 'under-the-bonnet' changes which brings the Lightroom and Bridge/CS3 version into line with each other; so for example, localised changes in Lightroom will now be reflected in ACR.

Anthony.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Anthony wrote:
    From what I have read, there are some 'under-the-bonnet' changes which brings the Lightroom and Bridge/CS3 version into line with each other; so for example, localised changes in Lightroom will now be reflected in ACR.

Anthony.

That sounds more like it. I have a rule about not being the first to install new software, so I'm looking forward to hearing others' impressions.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    Anthony wrote:

Anthony.

Sadly, no. I installed 4.5 today and there are no new functions available for CS3. I haven't used it enough yet to say whether any "under the hood" changes make any noticeable difference. The localized change brushes will not be available in Photoshop until ACR 5 is released with CS4. This is consistent with Adobe's previous pattern: bug fixes and new camera support are free but you don't get any new functionality without paying some money for an upgrade. Sigh.
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Richard, you are missing the most important benefit of upgrading to 4.5:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

This is a huge deal.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:

This is a huge deal.
    For those of us less educated in this field, care to expand on your last statement? I don't even know enough about this to ask intelligent questions.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who would greatly appreciate any additional information you might like to share.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:

This is a huge deal.

Bernard,

As you can see from my earlier posts, I am wary of new production releases, so imagine my enthusiasm for beta software. rolleyes1.gif

I admit that I have not been paying a whole lot of attention to DNG developments recently, so tell me briefly why I should get excited about this. ear.gif
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    People have always complained about ACR's colour rendition, especially
    when it comes to skin tones. That's why so many stick to DPP, at least for
    the initial RAW conversion. It's also why so many people prefer to stick to
    outdated versions of Capture One, which produces magnificent skin tones.
    And now, with these profiles, the problem is finally being addressed by
    Adobe. They really make a difference. Here's a sample:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=28791851
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Sadly, no. I installed 4.5 today and there are no new functions available for CS3. I haven't used it enough yet to say whether any "under the hood" changes make any noticeable difference. The localized change brushes will not be available in Photoshop until ACR 5 is released with CS4. This is consistent with Adobe's previous pattern: bug fixes and new camera support are free but you don't get any new functionality without paying some money for an upgrade. Sigh.
    Well there is a minor change; the clarity slider now goes negative as well as positive. This is in addition to the profiles which seem to work very well I have to say.

My point was that changes made to an image in Lightroom (using the latest adjustments) are reflected in ACR with this version which, as I understand it, was not the case before. I appreciate that changes made, such as the graduation tool cannot be further adjusted in ACR - because there is no such tool in ACR4.5 but it's effect can be seen.

If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will let us know rolleyes1.gif

Anthony.